• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investing in crypto currencies via LTD company account??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investing in crypto currencies via LTD company account??

Hello All,

Just wondering if its feasible to invest into crypto currencies from my LTD company account ..

what tax I will be liable for and when, i.e. if I invest using my LTD company and hold the coins does it make a difference? Also if I do sell am I liable for Corp & CGT ??

I have tried to search the forum/ looked the interwebs without much fruit. Any help greatly appreciated

Thanks Arjun

Worth asking your accountant?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Your investment profits would be subject to corporation tax.

Comment

There are many threads about investing via a ltd company. Why should there be any difference just because it's crypto currencies you're investing in rather than Sainsburys?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          Your investment profits would be subject to corporation tax.
          Look on the bright side though, the (inevitable) losses can offset the tax too.
          Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
          Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
            There are many threads about investing via a ltd company. Why should there be any difference just because it's crypto currencies you're investing in rather than Sainsburys?
            The big difference between crypto currencies and other investments is traceability.
            IMO if using your LTD like this then you need to be very careful to make sure you keep a record of all transactions. You wouldn't want to be investigated and there's a gap.
            Crypto currencies could potentially be used as a method of extracting cash from a LTD as a 'loss' so you'd need to be able to demonstrate that's not what you've done.
            I would also argue that given their volatility it's a gamble rather than an investment (although I have done quite nicely recently) so not an appropriate use of company funds (fiduciary responsibility yada yada). So I would do this as a personal gamble/investment.
            See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Worth asking your accountant?
              Be interested to hear what any accountants on this forum have to say about this as I would assume that many are not up to speed on crypto...but I maybe wrong

Comment

@saptastic I imagine we're as up to speed as any others (ie not very...but a handful of clients have started dabbling). My understanding is at least for the time being it's considered a capital gain type asset. Generally speaking this means you'd want to own them personally, as that way you'd get your annual exemption and then suffer 10%-20% on any capital gains (not qualifying for entrepreneurs relief).

The general view that you should keep investment assets out of your contracting Ltd Co remains true as far as I'm concerned. Ignoring risks to change of status of company from trading to investment, you'd suffer corporation tax on any gains on disposal, then still have the funds in the company meaning personal tax when withdrawn.

Comment

Thanks @Maslins - really useful. Will be interesting to also see if crypto becomes more mainstream.

Comment

Originally posted by saptastic View Post
                    Thanks @Maslins - really useful. Will be interesting to also see if crypto becomes more mainstream.
                    His statement about keeping investments assets would still stand whether they do or don't surely?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X