• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to claim cost of laptop on HMRC online corporation tax return/accounts submission

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael at BI Accountancy View Post
    I agree, add in as an asset and then claim AIA.

Don't forget to also put depreciation in the accounts for the asset.
    And add back the depreciation when calculating taxable profits!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      And that's what I thought. Not the advise bit of course, but oddly enough both accountants moved sub £500 purchases to assets in the two cases I can remember.
      Same as mine.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

£1k is the cutoff for me as far as assets goes. So things like phones and tablets go to the profit and loss as expenses but laptops would always be assets for me.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
          £1k is the cutoff for me as far as assets goes. So things like phones and tablets go to the profit and loss as expenses but laptops would always be assets for me.
          What about the sons car then. The company bought it for 12k so should I buy it off the company for say £10 and then sell it back to the company for £999 so it's not an asset?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            And add back the depreciation when calculating taxable profits!
            Yes this also!

The 'asset or expense' query is one that needs to be looked at in comparison to the size of the business. Firstly you need to decide whether or not it is material, also the lifetime expectancy of the item and if applicable you need to be consistent in your approach (i.e. if you have purchased something similar in the post and capitalised it then the same approach should be followed).

Comment

Working...
            X