• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Renewal Refused After Initial Offer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Let me get this right:
    4 weeks before the end of your existing contract you were offered an extension which you verbally accepted.
    The agent cancelled the contract offer after 2 weeks of you not signing it.
    You then tried to sign the contract 3 weeks after it was offered, and one week after the offer was cancelled, at which point there was nothing to sign, so you are left working your last week of the existing contract for the client.

If you had signed the contract you might have had a slight argument (but only slight), by refusing to sign it for two weeks, then having the contract pulled by the agent, you've got nothing to complain about. A written contract trumps a verbal one every time. If you accept a verbal contract but reject a written one, you can't go back to claim that the verbal one counts for anything.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
      Let me get this right:
      4 weeks before the end of your existing contract you were offered an extension which you verbally accepted.
      You then tried to sign the contract 3 weeks after it was offered, and one week after the offer was cancelled, at which point there was nothing to sign, so you are left working your last week of the existing contract for the client.

If you had signed the contract you might have had a slight argument (but only slight), by refusing to sign it for two weeks, then having the contract pulled by the agent, you've got nothing to complain about. A written contract trumps a verbal one every time. If you accept a verbal contract but reject a written one, you can't go back to claim that the verbal one counts for anything.
      Best one I've seen for a while! We need more of these to brighten my day.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Also a contractor is only paid for the work they are asked to do and actually do - if no work is available from the end client then there is no work to do.

Yes its annoying but that is what you agreed to when you become a contractor.

If you want people to give you 4 weeks notice go Permanent and accept the very different pay scales that come when clients can't stop paying you immediately...
        Not necessarily for this role/question.

But..

Lets assume you're contracting in the public sector, and forced to operate via an umbrella or one of the other new ways of working - what is the general consensus for those people being paid like employees, starting to act and demand similar rights to employees?

I know the umbrella will bend for the client and at best only pay min wage, but i do think if these changes have been forced on people and want to look at these, in my opinion many of which still being true contractors as employees, they should start to act like employees and demand rights as such.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
          Let me get this right:

I'm not sure that the OP "refused" to sign the contract, they were on holiday after all.

I think the most important thing here is that the OP verbally agreed to the extension. That should have been enough. Let's face it, if the shoe were on the other foot - that is, if a contractor verbally confirms but then later rescinds said verbal confirmation - it's seen as the height of unprofessionalism and tantamount to breach of contract.

Comment

Working...
          X