• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Legal advice

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Legal advice

Hello everyone I have a issue and hope to get some sound advice as I have been pushed from post to pillar

What is I have done work for a agency and I was told to come back the following so I booked hotel in advance and payed it today I went on site been told I was off hired on Friday but no one told me so now I am out of pocket for the hotel room I have said I want reimbursing as I should have been notified but the answer to that was we dont pay accommodation so they won't but I said if you had let me know I would have booked and payed for it in the first place I am LTD registered and find it hard to get legal advice anyone know or can help me as it's a lot of money to loose as a one man band

Hi Caine,
    Welcome to ContractorUK.
    In the hope of getting better responses, I've moved this thread to accounting and legal.
    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I very much doubt you'll be able to get any money back on the hotel. If your contract has started, and you can get the client to sign a time sheet for your attendance then you'll get paid. The difficulty is that that if they genuinely weren't expecting you then they wont want to sing it as that commits them to paying you.

If you have a contract start date prior to your arrival then strictly speaking you should be paid, but if you push it you risk being binned with no money at all.

If you can't afford one extra night in a hotel how can you afford the expenses for this contract? Or are you at home most of the time, or another site closer to home.

I'd just suck it up and accept the loss as rocking the boat won't help you at the start of a new contract.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Unfortunately you'll have a hard time getting this back unless you had something in your contract to cover this situation.

Comment

This is one of the risks of being a contractor, I'm afraid.

Unless it's in your contract that you will get reimbursed for such a loss, you won't.
          "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
          - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Not a chance of getting this back. Might have been a misunderstanding with the client but your living arrangements are nothing to do with them. It's unfortunate and very frustrating when it happens but it does from time to time. I can't believe the risk of getting binned trying to chase this at the beginning of a gig is worth it so I'd say suck it up as well.

That said.. Off hired. What on earth does that mean. Binned completely or just not needed for the day?

Maybe use spare time to go out and buy a keyboard with a working full stop key?
            Last edited by northernladuk; 29 August 2017, 11:46.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              That said.. Off hired. What on earth does that mean. Binned completely or just not needed for the day?
              Off hired = no longer needed. Though I've only ever heard the term used in relation to equipment, not people!

Comment

Depending on notice period, IPSE+ will have gotten you up to £1k back on this example I think? Would have helped with the hotel costs I guess.

Comment

A few messages have been deleted as inappropriate for the professional forums.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by l35kee View Post
                    Depending on notice period, IPSE+ will have gotten you up to £1k back on this example I think? Would have helped with the hotel costs I guess.
                    Not so sure about that. That would be the Business Interruption option and I thought it would only pay out if they've breached contract or done something naughty. If they've not acted inappropriately I don't think it will cover expenses like this. If they've canned him on the spot and breached the notice clause it might but we've no information about that so far.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X