• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Renting a Place near work & mileage expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Renting a Place near work & mileage expenses

Hi,

After a bit of research I determined that it would be reasonable to rent a place nearer to work through the LTD.

My research suggests that as it's cheaper than commuting >300 miles/day or staying in a hotel for 5 nights a week then HMRC will be OK with it as a valid business expense.

The bit I am unsure on is what can I claim in mileage expenses.

Can I claim the 10 miles per day from rented accommodation to the site and back?
    Can I claim the 300 miles round trip from rented accommodation to permanent residence over the weekend?

Neither? Both?

My understanding is that I can claim the weekend trip but not the daily commute - a bit like if I was staying in a hotel by work.

Anyone else got any ideas?

I'll get the accountant on the phone in the week but I think they're about as unsure as I am.

I'd be very worried your accountant knows less about a pretty common situation for contractors than a bunch of strangers on an Internet forum..
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=re...obile&ie=UTF-8
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Seems reasonable enough, all assuming you aren't caught by the 24-month rule in the first place.

I would also say you can claim weekend mileage and daily mileage.

I do agree though, if your accountant is unsure on this, you should lose a bit of confidence in them...

Comment

So it seems that it's fine and I can claim £5 a night incidentals too.

And this wont impact my ability to expense £4 a week using my permanent home as an office?

I already lost a lot of confidence in the accountancy service I use and will be changing once I have decided on a new one - hopefully before things get too messed up.

Comment

I would agree that all mileage is claimable as its all related to your journey to and from a temporary workplace.

As long as there's some use of your home as an office then you should be fine to continue claiming £4/week.

Comment

Working...
            X