• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Closing down ltd/starting up again

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Closing down a Ltd Co is a very easy thing to do and has advantages in closing off certain future tax issues that may otherwise bite you in the future.
    I am considering going perm, and so interested in this comment. If I leave the company dormant, would i need to also keep public indemnity and IPSE membership etc running in case an old client had a problem with something that was done under an old contract, or HMRC wanted to investigate IR35 status for a prior contract etc?? Would closing the company down, effectively mean that these things could no longer happen as the co is no longer active?

Comment

Originally posted by mrtuk View Post
      I am considering going perm, and so interested in this comment. If I leave the company dormant, would i need to also keep public indemnity and IPSE membership etc running in case an old client had a problem with something that was done under an old contract, or HMRC wanted to investigate IR35 status for a prior contract etc?? Would closing the company down, effectively mean that these things could no longer happen as the co is no longer active?
      Google is your friend.

http://www.contractoruk.com/ir35/con...ding_4706.html
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Cannot be 100% guaranteed but pretty much, yes. A company cannot be struck off without HMRC saying they have no objection. You'd still have certain obligations as the ex director, but FWIW, I think it is a waste of time and effort keeping a non trading company open. They're so easy to open and close at virtually zero cost, I can't see how it makes sense to keep one going. Of course, YMMV, but that's my 2 cents.
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
          You need to bear in mind that any cash currently held in the Ltd accounts would be less easy to conceal from the Job Centre, once it's in personal accounts.
          None in there anyway.
          Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

HMRC could still investigate your IR35 status and pursue for the tax owed. When your IPSE membership is up for renewal, give the office a call and discuss the options available to you.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
            X