• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoking the substitution clause

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoking the substitution clause

Has anyone invoked the substitution clause? How did it work with the agency and client?
    Any useful tips?

Very very few have. You realise you should be finding someone and getting them up to speed at your own time and cost. You should be offering someone that can step in for you. Not just another body that starts after you've left. Is it still an option for you?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
      Has anyone invoked the substitution clause? How did it work with the agency and client?
      Any useful tips?
      Depends a lot on what your contract says about it?

Also, do you have another employee to put forward? Assuming they will have to be paid via your LTD, who will still be invoicing your client. What if the sub is terrible and client refuses to pay your Ltd, will you still pay the sub?

Stay and do it yourself, or leave imo..!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
        Any useful tips?
        Haven't done it, but regardless of the contractual position, you would have to treat is as you would a sales process, not just advise them you're invoking the clause. The clause is the last thing you would do to give a contractual framework to permit what you have already agreed first with client, then with agency.

Unless of course you are invoking the clause as a nuclear option to get out of working notice, in which case get stuck in!

Interested to know the story.

Comment

I have used subs on a few occasions.
          In my experience, it is best to sort it out directly with the client and only inform the agency as a courtesy after the work has been completed and you have a signed timesheet. This gives them no chance to screw things up for you.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
            I have used subs on a few occasions.
            In my experience, it is best to sort it out directly with the client and only inform the agency as a courtesy after the work has been completed and you have a signed timesheet. This gives them no chance to screw things up for you.
            Bearing in mind your contract is with the agency I'm not so sure this is the best method. You might have gotten away with it but not informing the party you are contracted to could end in tears.

When you says subs you mean substitutes and not sub contractors?

Comment

I do mean substitutes.

In my experience the agencies don't give a toss once the time sheet is signed. If you try to discuss anything with them first they tend to put up barriers as they think it will be problematic for the end client.

Address the issue with the client professionally and there is no issue.

Agency contracts may say things like holiday or sick days need to be agreed with agency first. Do you ever do that? I'd be surprised if you did.

I appreciate that there isn't one size fits all situations but the above is my experience of substituting on 3 separate occasions.
              Last edited by fidot; 14 August 2017, 15:54.

Comment

Originally posted by fidot View Post
                I do mean substitutes.
                AH OK.
                Agency contracts may say things like holiday or sick days need to be agreed with agency first. Do you ever do that? I'd be surprised if you did.
                Good point but must admit I do drop the a cursory note to mention it when I am.

I appreciate that there isn't one size fits all situations but the above is my experience of subcontracting on 3 separate occasions.
                Eh???

Comment

Fixed. Good spot

Comment

Imagine signing Lionel Messi and getting Phil Neville.

Or buying a POWER8 frame and finding Linux on it....

Comment

Working...
                    X