• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Noob, working in Ireland, worried about Irish taxation.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Noob, working in Ireland, worried about Irish taxation.

Hello all, my first post and barely a week into contracting, so I'm new to this too.

I'm an offshore oil worker, UK resident, with an umbrella company, recruiting company and the work providing company all in the UK. All the contracts are in the UK, and I thought I'd be working in the UK. I used an umbrella because I'm new to this, it all was happening a bit quick and it's "only" a three month contract.

So I get an offer to work for 3 weeks in the Irish offshore sector and jump at it (my first work in over a year). Of course, once I get out here and start chatting to the others, I realise that I'll be working in Ireland while getting paid/taxed in the UK. I know that there will be an element of taxation due to Ireland, especially as they have no personal allowances like the UK

With this being Saturday midnight (I'm working night shift) I thought maybe you folks might have an idea of how this should work out, what I should do.

Thanks for any feedback.

For three weeks work I would say your tax liability would be minimal. I would go through an Irish umbrella, then you know everything is above board.
    You would then declare your earnings in the UK which would be taxed again. The cost of doing this would be the admin of the Umbrella company.
    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Worth doing a bit more research on this I feel. Don't overlook the dual taxation treaty between Ireland and the UK. There will be other blokes there doing the exact same thing as you, so discuss with them. And, I think there are special rules that apply to off shore workers? Best to do a bit more research, I think.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

The Irish do have Personal Allowances, they call them Tax Credits I think.

Haven’t worked mine out but I think they are slightly more generous than UK ones. To counteract that you have to pay the USC, Universal Social Charge, otherwise known at the Celtic Tiger Failure Tax...

Comment

Working...
        X