• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote contract for Irish (RoI) client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
    Yes I'm looking at the Icon website now and its seems a good option. I'm also looking at Transferwise Borderless Account to receive funds.

My only worry is around who I pay tax to. Icon's website say they take care of Irish tax for me, but as the work is physically being done from my front room in the UK, I am UK tax resident not Irish tax resident and will I still owe something to HMRC?
    If your physically working in uk forget the Irish bit, if the agents etc don’t get that then bin it, if you deal with incompetents some of their shiit will stick to you.

When you are required to physically be in Ireland do the legal stuff then.

The golden rule is tax is due where the work is done.

Comment

Well the Irish agency says it is happy to deal with a UK Ltd with payments made using a TransferWise Borderless account. I invoice via their online portal.

Comment

Well the Irish agency says it is happy to deal with a UK Ltd with payments made using a TransferWise Borderless account. I invoice via their online portal.
        Just do that until your physical location changes to another tax regime.

Cater Allen do Euro accounts but the fact is somewhere down the line you'll have to convert it, I'm in Ireland, paid into my Irish bank, I use Transferwise (not Borderless) to transfer what I need to UK account to pay bills there. Having worked in EU for last few contracts I'd advice you stick by these rules;

1. Pay tax where you physically do the work, from day one (with one of two exceptions)

2. Despite EU and FoM, there is no tax harmonisation, you need to follow, understand and abide by each on the ground.

3. Tax residence isn't the same as habitat residence, 9 time out of 10 you pay tax in two countries, DTA balancing off so you pay the highest rate.

Comment

You pay tax in the UK. The agency should not be "taking care of Irish tax" as YourCo or you have no Irish tax liability. Make sure they aren't withholding anything.

The only tax liability that shifts is the VAT - its outside the scope of UK VAT and the agency should deal with the VAT in Ireland under the reverse charge rules.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
            You pay tax in the UK. The agency should not be "taking care of Irish tax" as YourCo or you have no Irish tax liability. Make sure they aren't withholding anything.

The only tax liability that shifts is the VAT - its outside the scope of UK VAT and the agency should deal with the VAT in Ireland under the reverse charge rules.
            So do I still charge the Irish agency 20% VAT?

Comment

So do I still charge the Irish agency 20% VAT?
              No, as I just said, if you are invoicing an Irish agency its outside the scope of UK VAT.

You do not charge VAT, you should mention on the invoice that this a reverse charge supply. The Irish agency accounts for the VAT. You'll also need to complete an EC sales list. If you're on the FRS you do not include this in your flat rate turnover.

If it's a UK agency then you charge VAT as normal.

Comment

Working...
              X