• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Remote contract for Irish (RoI) client

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    The agency doesn't know what they are talking about and the fact they've mentioned the 183 day rule is evidence of that. You're working from the UK. The work is being performed here, regardless of where the end client is based. The place of supply for VAT purposes is also the UK, as you are invoicing a UK agency.

It's your choice if you want the contract but I'd be telling them in no uncertain terms that you do not need to and will not be working through anything other than your UK company.
    And in addition you can't open an Irish bank account without an address in Ireland and I think a PPS number, which is the Irish equivalent of an NI number in UK.

Agree with CP

Comment

The fact that you are working remotely in the UK means this is purely a UK business, really it should be taxed in the UK. I would visit an accountant and let him clarify this with HMRC, so you know where you stand. No point in doing a contract which puts you on the wrong side of the law.

You could think about commuting and working there, then it would be perfectly legitimate to tax your earnings in Ireland.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

You can be paid in Euros into a UK business bank account but you will lose out on the exchange rate if it is a pound sterling account.

There are lots of threads if you search on whether to get a Euro business account or not.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          You can be paid in Euros into a UK business bank account but you will lose out on the exchange rate if it is a pound sterling account.

There are lots of threads if you search on whether to get a Euro business account or not.
          Agreed

The first time I worked in Ireland I did it all wrong, think I was losing about £75 per month in conversion fees and shiite exchange rate, flying in and out every weekend, car ferry sometimes, didn’t make much warchest on that gig...

Comment

Originally posted by Scotchpie View Post
            Thanks for all the advice. Interestingly I just received an email from the UK agency. I really think they are the ones stipulating the six months and not the client. They now say as I will be paid in Euros I need an Irish bank account which they will pay into.

"As the work you will be carrying out is based in Ireland we will need you to set up an Irish bank account so we can pay you into this account, makes sense as you will be paid in Euros .

Also the good news is as your initial contract is 6 months( less than 183 days) you can use your UK LTD company, anything after 6 months you will need to transfer to PAYE OR Umbrella company or Irish LTD Company."

I am in Dublin for three weeks to be introduced to the client, after that I am remote working from home in the UK.

So for three weeks I need an Irish bank account? Is the agency trying to cover themselves from paying double tax or something? I do get the impression this is the first non UK contract they have negotiated.

Cheers
            No Need to set up an Irish company I guess. Just get a Euro account from Transferwise, and give that to the agency to pay in. Where you pay your tax should be determined by where you work and not by the agency. I work for Irish companies from UK and all the taxes are paid by UK ltd as advised by the accountant.

Comment

Originally posted by WordIsBond View Post
              You could probably set up a euro account with the new borderless banking with Transferwise and it would satisfy them. But if not, I'd probably just open the account. It's a hassle, but a small matter in the larger scheme of things. If you've already agreed to work for euros and take the exchange rate risk, this is just one more thing.
              I opened my EUR account with Revolut in under a minute via their app.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thank you all.

Just had a call from the agent. This is the first overseas contract they have arranged. They have partnered with an Irish agency who I will be invoicing and submitting my timesheets to.

Should the Irish account be set up in my UK Ltds name? In a few months when the dust settles I think I will go down the Irish Ltd route, maybe move there.

Andrew

Comment

Thank you all.

Just had a call from the agent. This is the first overseas contract they have arranged. They have partnered with an Irish agency who I will be invoicing and submitting my timesheets to.

Should the Irish account be set up in my UK Ltds name? In a few months when the dust settles I think I will go down the Irish Ltd route, maybe move there.

Andrew
                  You've made even more complex now.

In the first incidence you are in the UK and should invoice as charging an EU client

When you move then sort the issue out.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Thank you all.

Andrew
                    Like I said before, there is no advantage to an Irish ltd, a The dividend concept doesn’t exist, go Director Umbrella, retention is better, money is urs from day one, no returns etc.

Everything is stupidly taxed and expensive here, don’t move for financial reasons, you’ll never make it pay.

Irish ripoff number 36; you have to pay for your kids school books, €600 per kid per year...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                      Like I said before, there is no advantage to an Irish ltd, a The dividend concept doesn’t exist, go Director Umbrella, retention is better, money is urs from day one, no returns etc.
                      Yes I'm looking at the Icon website now and its seems a good option. I'm also looking at Transferwise Borderless Account to receive funds.

My only worry is around who I pay tax to. Icon's website say they take care of Irish tax for me, but as the work is physically being done from my front room in the UK, I am UK tax resident not Irish tax resident and will I still owe something to HMRC?

Comment

Working...
                      X