• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home pay from £300/day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There should be more to it than money. Not having to go through the permie rigmarole is worth alot to me.

Comment

300 is a little on the low side isn't it? Where is it and exactly what role are you carrying out? If it's a fairly basic role then there is going to be a lot of competition for them as well. Particularly if most of the applicants are our offshore friends.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

FWIW I left just under £60k for £55 and hour.

But since I did this contracting has been squeezed by hmrc so you need to make more for the scales to balance up.

FWIW I would stick with £40k a year, and only investigate contracting when you can make >£450 a day.
        http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
          FWIW I left just under £60k for £55 and hour.

But since I did this contracting has been squeezed by hmrc so you need to make more for the scales to balance up.

FWIW I would stick with £40k a year, and only investigate contracting when you can make >£450 a day.
          £40k you take home £30.5k. You don't have to work many outside IR35 days at £400 to pass that.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            £40k you take home £30.5k. You don't have to work many outside IR35 days at £400 to pass that.
            less than 5 months. Doesn't include the various ltd fees, but still. That's some perspective.

Comment

Take home pay from £300/day?

Yeah but OP talking about £300 a day.

The calc above estimates £4k take home a month on that. (72%) or £48k p/a.

You make an extra £17k but have loads more risk, must bill the days, no pension etc.

Having had 8weeks on the bench last year I am a bit more circumspect about it all...
              Last edited by PurpleGorilla; 2 August 2017, 15:15.

Comment

Yeah but OP talking about £300 a day.

The calc above estimates £4k take home a month on that. (72%) or £48k p/a.

You make an extra £17k but have loads more risk, must bill the days, no pension etc.

Having had 8weeks on the bench last year I am a bit more circumspect about it all...
                But you were talking about 450 pd!

£400 pd works, but agree that £300 pd vs £40k pa is close.

Comment

But you were talking about 450 pd!

£400 pd works, but agree that £300 pd vs £40k pa is close.
                  I know I did, I was suggesting to stick to permie until you can break into £450 a day.

Comment

I know I did, I was suggesting to stick to permie until you can break into £450 a day.
                    But £400 pd would work nicely compared to 40k p.a.

Comment

But £400 pd would work nicely compared to 40k p.a.
                      You make an extra £17k take home. (See above)

But no pension and bigger risk.

Comment

Working...
                      X