• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home pay from £300/day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Braba View Post
    The company has finally approved my contract, after re-evaluating the cost, because they had underestimated the cost of a contractor. So they are happy with £300/day.

My accountant suggested to register for VAT as well, but that would mean I would have to charge them £300 + VAT. They had trouble getting the budget approved for the daily rate only. I am thinking it could get them to back down if I ask them to pay VAT on top of the normal daily rate.

What do you guys think?
    VAT is reclaimable so is not part of their costs, assuming they are VAT registered themselves.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Take home pay from £300/day?

Originally posted by Braba View Post
      The company has finally approved my contract, after re-evaluating the cost, because they had underestimated the cost of a contractor. So they are happy with £300/day.

My accountant suggested to register for VAT as well, but that would mean I would have to charge them £300 + VAT. They had trouble getting the budget approved for the daily rate only. I am thinking it could get them to back down if I ask them to pay VAT on top of the normal daily rate.

What do you guys think?
      Wow. They are either daft, cheapskates, or taking the mickey. The beauty of a 300/day contractor is they don't have all the permie overheads. If they struggle to get that then I'd be really, really cautious as they don't sound like they'll be able to retain you as soon as one of their customers flunks an invoice.
      What you mustn't forget is that contracting is a 2-way thing. The client gets a load of bonus as well as they don't need to insure you, pay your pension, pay for for sick or holidays.

Sounds like they just cannot afford someone but you are just about affordable as you're cheap and easy to bin.

BEWARE.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Or you could save all the confusion as it is your first time and go brolly until you settle into the contracting world properly, especially as it is only 4-6 months.

And yes before you all jump on me, I know it isn't going to do the rate any good but at least it will give some time to do some proper research on the LTD side of things. Just a thought

Comment

Working...
        X