Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Posts 21 to 30 of 33

Faqqed Off

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    You make an extra 17k take home. (See above)

But no pension and bigger risk.
    My pension has significantly more in it as a contractor than it ever did as a permie.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for all the replies.

I've worked it out to be at least 1000 more a month and that's including pension and insurance. It's my first contract and they are willing to wait 4 weeks in regards to my notice period, which not many companies do.

It's a software developer role in Berkshire.

However, you are right. 300 is the lower end. It's a 4 - 6 month contract and hopefully once I finish or renew the contract I can find/negotiate a higher rate or different contract.

Is it possible to negotiate a higher rate on contract renewal? Has anyone experience with that?

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Braba View Post

I've worked it out to be at least 1000 more a month and that's including pension and insurance. It's my first contract and they are willing to wait 4 weeks in regards to my notice period, which not many companies do.

However, you are right. 300 is the lower end. It's a 4 - 6 month contract and hopefully once I finish or renew the contract I can find/negotiate a higher rate or different contract.

Is it possible to negotiate a higher rate on contract renewal? Has anyone experience with that?
    It is but only if you know what you are doing and are any good at negotiating. Half hearted attempt to ask politely will fail. They do this as their job so if you can't come across like you are going to walk if you don't get it you'll have little to no chance.

All you will be doing is reducing the agents cut as well. the client won't pay more as you are doing the same work. in theory the agent has made his expect money and there is no extra time and cost for the extension so it's free money. He should be willing to drop his margin a little. That is if he isn't on a fixed margin or a very low one. As a newbie you can almost guarantee he's had your pants down so could be possible.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Double Godlike!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A contract is for only as long as the week you got paid. Ignore contract periods, they mean nothing.

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's not through an agent. It's actually directly with the company.

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's not through an agent. It's actually directly with the company.
    In which case - 300 sounds really low.

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could generate a small surplus if you register for VAT. In the first year, you get 1% discount to your flat rate%. On every 1K invoiced, you will get additional 14 flat rate surplus before tax.

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
    You could generate a small surplus if you register for VAT. In the first year, you get 1% discount to your flat rate%. On every 1K invoiced, you will get additional 14 flat rate surplus before tax.
    But that decision should be made on his situation, not just chasing 14 quid surely?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Still gathering requirements...

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    But that decision should be made on his situation, not just chasing 14 quid surely?
    If it will be a voluntary VAT registration, it will be the benefit of registering that will be considered and best discussed with an accountant before making any decisions. Unfortunately, with the limited cost trader, the benefit of a voluntary vat registration is not significant.

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The company has finally approved my contract, after re-evaluating the cost, because they had underestimated the cost of a contractor. So they are happy with 300/day.

My accountant suggested to register for VAT as well, but that would mean I would have to charge them 300 + VAT. They had trouble getting the budget approved for the daily rate only. I am thinking it could get them to back down if I ask them to pay VAT on top of the normal daily rate.

What do you guys think?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast