• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Take home pay from £300/day?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    You make an extra £17k take home. (See above)

But no pension and bigger risk.
    My pension has significantly more in it as a contractor than it ever did as a permie.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.

I've worked it out to be at least £1000 more a month and that's including pension and insurance. It's my first contract and they are willing to wait 4 weeks in regards to my notice period, which not many companies do.

It's a software developer role in Berkshire.

However, you are right. £300 is the lower end. It's a 4 - 6 month contract and hopefully once I finish or renew the contract I can find/negotiate a higher rate or different contract.

Is it possible to negotiate a higher rate on contract renewal? Has anyone experience with that?

Comment

Originally posted by Braba View Post

I've worked it out to be at least £1000 more a month and that's including pension and insurance. It's my first contract and they are willing to wait 4 weeks in regards to my notice period, which not many companies do.

However, you are right. £300 is the lower end. It's a 4 - 6 month contract and hopefully once I finish or renew the contract I can find/negotiate a higher rate or different contract.

Is it possible to negotiate a higher rate on contract renewal? Has anyone experience with that?
        It is but only if you know what you are doing and are any good at negotiating. Half hearted attempt to ask politely will fail. They do this as their job so if you can't come across like you are going to walk if you don't get it you'll have little to no chance.

All you will be doing is reducing the agents cut as well. the client won't pay more as you are doing the same work. in theory the agent has made his expect money and there is no extra time and cost for the extension so it's free money. He should be willing to drop his margin a little. That is if he isn't on a fixed margin or a very low one. As a newbie you can almost guarantee he's had your pants down so could be possible.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

A contract is for only as long as the week you got paid. Ignore contract periods, they mean nothing.

Comment

It's not through an agent. It's actually directly with the company.

Comment

It's not through an agent. It's actually directly with the company.
              In which case - £300 sounds really low.
              http://www.cih.org/news-article/disp...housing_market

Comment

You could generate a small surplus if you register for VAT. In the first year, you get 1% discount to your flat rate%. On every £1K invoiced, you will get additional £14 flat rate surplus before tax.

Comment

Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
                  You could generate a small surplus if you register for VAT. In the first year, you get 1% discount to your flat rate%. On every £1K invoiced, you will get additional £14 flat rate surplus before tax.
                  But that decision should be made on his situation, not just chasing 14 quid surely?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    But that decision should be made on his situation, not just chasing 14 quid surely?
                    If it will be a voluntary VAT registration, it will be the benefit of registering that will be considered and best discussed with an accountant before making any decisions. Unfortunately, with the limited cost trader, the benefit of a voluntary vat registration is not significant.

Comment

The company has finally approved my contract, after re-evaluating the cost, because they had underestimated the cost of a contractor. So they are happy with £300/day.

My accountant suggested to register for VAT as well, but that would mean I would have to charge them £300 + VAT. They had trouble getting the budget approved for the daily rate only. I am thinking it could get them to back down if I ask them to pay VAT on top of the normal daily rate.

What do you guys think?

Comment

Working...
                      X