• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Short 5 week contract. Don't have company setup. What should I do?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Short 5 week contract. Don't have company setup. What should I do?

Hi there,

I have never contracted before but I want to do a short 5 week contract and then move back to permanent work.

Can you please help advise me or what I should do in terms of tax and business bank account and company. Must I set all this up or can I just get the client to invoice me directly? Would agents allow this?

Cheers

Join an umbrella
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Join an umbrella
      Really? surely just register income as a sole trader, pay HMRC their due and move on...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
        Really? surely just register income as a sole trader, pay HMRC their due and move on...
        If the contract is through an agency that won't be allowed.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

will the agent run it PAYE ? That sounds easiest for just 5 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLearner2008 View Post
            Hi there,

I have never contracted before but I want to do a short 5 week contract and then move back to permanent work.

Can you please help advise me or what I should do in terms of tax and business bank account and company. Must I set all this up or can I just get the client to invoice me directly? Would agents allow this?

Cheers
            If it is direct with the client then register as self-employed.

If it is through an agency then hire yourself a temporary employer (also known as an 'Umbrella' in the UK for unknown reasons).

Comment

Originally posted by m0n1k3r View Post
              If it is direct with the client then register as self-employed.

If it is through an agency then hire yourself a temporary employer (also known as an 'Umbrella' in the UK for unknown reasons).
              It's called an umbrella as you are under it.
              It's supposed to imply some sort of protection but in reality it doesn't other than you don't have to run a LTD.
              See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Working...
              X