• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What are my options??

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are my options??

Dear All,

Greetings ..

Brief background. ...

I had instructed my accountant to close the company. I closed the business bank account and de-register VAT. Refund from HMRC was due to me/my company (< 5K), I requested him to receive the refund on my behalf and then transfer into my personal account.

HMRC have refunded the amount and my accountant has charged me £240.00 (200+20% VAT- 40) about 3 months ago , so my invoices point of view nothing was outstanding.

Now fast forward ... to-date.

After sending at least 5-6 email reminders and 7-8 calls I got an email from one his director stating, Guy who was dealing with my case, he has left the company hence there is a delay but he raised a wrong invoice and I quote " Our fees are £600.00 (500+20% VAT 100) so If your in agreement I will transfer the money immediately by deducting remaining £360.00?

My question to the group is --

1. What is the average (Current) accountants charge to carry out closing company business?
    2. Can they raise the invoice ( which they haven't yet .. just an email) retrospectively i.e. after 3 months and doing follow-up?
    3. Can I make a complain to some accountant member society? or inform HMRC about his under hand dealings?

Now he has stopped taking my calls & stopped responding to my emails as well... I would appreciate it , if you could tell me what are my options now?

@admin ... if you think I will get better response .. I am happy to move this thread to General.

Thanks & Warm Regards,
    Bill.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cl...e=UTF-8#xxri=1

Why would you think HMRC cares about what an accountant charges his client?

What professional bodies does the accountant claim he is a member of on his website?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cl...e=UTF-8#xxri=1

I had seen those but they are dated 2011/2012

Why would you think HMRC cares about what an accountant charges his client?
      No , HMRC doesn't care!

What professional bodies does the accountant claim he is a member of on his website?
      ICAEW
      Last edited by WilsonPiper72; 19 July 2017, 17:44. Reason: additional info...

Comment

Originally posted by WilsonPiper72 View Post
        ICAEW
        And have you had a look at the website yet? Takes a bit to find but some stuff on there about code of ethics and complaints...
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          And have you had a look at the website yet? Takes a bit to find but some stuff on there about code of ethics and complaints...
          Yeap.. Yes I have, I will be making an official complaint to them with regards to ethics but would like to know how much accountants charge for this type of service.

Comment

I think raising a complaint with the regulator is a bit premature. Mistakes happen, and people need chance to sort them out and apologise.

So I would suggest the first point is not "what do other accountants charge" but its "what should I be paying under the contract I have with my accountant". So, was it £200 or £500.

If the contact with your accountant is unclear, put this, and your concerns about time delays directly to the director, mark it as "treat as complaint" and I suspect you will either get a comprehensive explanation or the amount written off. No regulated accountant is going to stand their ground and risk a complaint to the regulator unless they are sure their position is squeaky clean.

If not, then ICAEW, but generally they don't get involved in fee issues.

Comment

Don't move the thread to general - unless you want 10 stupid responses for every sensible one.

A reminder for everyone not to close company bank account until you are very sure everything is finished.

Personally, I would accept the fee and move on. To QDOS(who did this for free. Well they did not charge extra!).

Then name and shame your accountant.

*Then go round on Friday 25th August evening(as soon as office closed for bank holiday) and put maggots, fish heads and bran through his letterbox. And also through his home address letter box.

BP
              * This last bit requires a bit of thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessica@WhiteFieldTax View Post
                I think raising a complaint with the regulator is a bit premature. Mistakes happen, and people need chance to sort them out and apologise.

So I would suggest the first point is not "what do other accountants charge" but its "what should I be paying under the contract I have with my accountant". So, was it £200 or £500.

There wasn't contract as such ... accountant raised an INVOICE of £240.00, which I have paid in full. Now after chasing for the refund , after two months he wants additional £360.00 before he can release the amount.... this is as if putting a gun on your head and demand more ... which is not ethical at all.

And it doesn't take 2 months to reconcile and realise that mistake has happened?? ...

If the contact with your accountant is unclear, put this, and your concerns about time delays directly to the director, mark it as "treat as complaint" and I suspect you will either get a comprehensive explanation or the amount written off. No regulated accountant is going to stand their ground and risk a complaint to the regulator unless they are sure their position is squeaky clean.

Which I have ( spoken to the Partner) once in writing via email and once verbally. When I spoke to him , he said , I quote "

Give me couple of days ( i.e. 1 week ago) I will discuss with the business partner and come to some figure which is acceptable to all parties .... but since then he has stopped taking my phone calls.

If not, then ICAEW, but generally they don't get involved in fee issues.
                But it will remain on their records and black mark against them?

Thanks for your response ... much appreciated.
                Last edited by WilsonPiper72; 20 July 2017, 18:34.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Don't move the thread to general - unless you want 10 stupid responses for every sensible one.

true

A reminder for everyone not to close company bank account until you are very sure everything is finished.

Lesson Learned and I hope some others will learn from this.

Personally, I would accept the fee and move on. To QDOS(who did this for free. Well they did not charge extra!).

Then name and shame your accountant.

Yes I will once I get my money

*Then go round on Friday 25th August evening(as soon as office closed for bank holiday) and put maggots, fish heads and bran through his letterbox. And also through his home address letter box.

BP
                  * This last bit requires a bit of thinking.
                  How about approaching debt recovery enforcement agencies?
                  Last edited by WilsonPiper72; 20 July 2017, 18:26.

Comment

Are they local? If they're ignoring calls I'd maybe go to their office (prepared with all your evidence etc.) And demand you speak to someone before resorting to any third party action.

Not clear what your saying in emails to them, but you need to be clear what you want and be firm. A "have you had a chance to look at this" type of thing isn't going to raise an eyebrow.

Personally I wouldn't pay any extra, you've agreed a fee and paid it. They can't just retrospectively change that weeks later.

Comment

Working...
                    X