• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Keeping Track of it all

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping Track of it all

I've got so many types of investments and pockets of money here there and everywhere, including bank accounts, pensions, shares, life insurance schemes, non listed shares, bitcoins. In conscious if I get hit by a bus my wife Fe won't be able to find half of this stuff. I try to print it all out and keep it in a folder but have no doubt missed stuff. When it comes to bitcoin wallets I don't like the idea of just printing out the access codes to it.

Is there some neat system where if I were to die, the keys, passwords and account details can be handed over to my wife securely. Thinking some third party service or app.

You don't really need an app. A well presented thorough 'In case of emergency everything document' will cover it.

There are quite a few templates on the web. Start with one of them and then expand it to cover everything. For passwords consider using an app like Roboform to keep them so the can be easily accessed etc. You can password protect it, zip it, store it on cloud drive etc, whatever you think is safest but easily accessible.

Educate the right people how to get hold of it and regularly check they still know.

I've do most of the above and just convinced my father to do the same. It can take a lot longer than you realise to get all the information together and to keep it updated but IMO it's worth it. Just be super vigilant about security though.

Plenty of reading on the web for you, like this.

http://lifehacker.com/5817021/in-cas...nformation-kit

EDIT : Your bitcoins won't be worth squat soon so no need to worry too much about that
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I would personally think that writing your bitcoin wallet keys down and keeping them in a safe deposit box along with everything else in the "in case of emergency" envelope is far more secure than a third party app.

I use lastpass for most online stuff. don't keep my bank account passwords etc in there though.
      Last edited by FrontEnder; 19 July 2017, 08:12.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
        I would personally think that writing your bitcoin wallet keys down and keeping them in a safe deposit box along with everything else in the "in case of emergency" envelope is far more secure than a third party app.

I use lastpass for most online stuff. don't keep my bank account passwords etc in there though.
        Some people just post it on Internet forums:
        Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
        My PWD is 8hrs.
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
        X