• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Insurance for US contract working in UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insurance for US contract working in UK

I have been offered a contract from a US company to work remotely in the UK. The initial contract is for 3 months with a probable extension for a further year.

I was advised to start off using an umbrella company for the first 3 months. However, the umbrella company I have gone with say their insurance won't cover a US contract.

The umbrella company's insurers said that if the contract with the US firm states that it is governed by UK law and the work is completed in the UK then this would be fine, but there is nothing about UK law on the contract and the US company seem reluctant to change it.

Is there a UK umbrella company, or possibly just an insurer, that is suitable for a contract from a US company?

Thanks
    Martin

Originally posted by mjdenham View Post
    I have been offered a contract from a US company to work remotely in the UK. The initial contract is for 3 months with a probable extension for a further year.

I was advised to start off using an umbrella company for the first 3 months. However, the umbrella company I have gone with say their insurance won't cover a US contract.

The umbrella company's insurers said that if the contract with the US firm states that it is governed by UK law and the work is completed in the UK then this would be fine, but there is nothing about UK law on the contract and the US company seem reluctant to change it.

Is there a UK umbrella company, or possibly just an insurer, that is suitable for a contract from a US company?

Thanks
    Martin
    I seriously, seriously doubt it - as this is a requirement no-one else would need the umbrella to cover and is seriously seriously expensive - well beyond the amount would recover from you in fees.

Who advised you to use an umbrella company?

My advice would be to follow the advice of JamesBrown in your last thread http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...s-company.html and go PAYE with them....
    Last edited by eek; 18 July 2017, 18:49.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I was advised to use an umbrella due to the shortness of the initial contract and the fact that HMRC are suspicious if a company stops trading after 3 months.

The US client would be reluctant to offer any more than a 3 month contract initially.

Comment

Originally posted by mjdenham View Post
        I was advised to use an umbrella due to the shortness of the initial contract and the fact that HMRC are suspicious if a company stops trading after 3 months.

The US client would be reluctant to offer any more than a 3 month contract initially.
        Putting aside the 3 month comment, you don't necessarily need to start a company or use an umbrella. If you're both willing, you could be employed by them and, as an employee of a foreign employer, you'll need to arrange for payment of PAYE/NI with a DPNI scheme. However, if you do want an umbrella that deals with US clients (last time I asked Lisa on CUK), try ContractorUmbrella. I'm not sure if they charge a premium for that or require U.K. jurisdiction and governing law, but I'd be surprised if they didn't, given the cost of PI insurance (probably the latter). They have a good reputation here. However, in that case, you will be paying employer's NI (unlike DPNI).

Comment

Working...
        X