• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company credit cards

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company credit cards

Hi All,
    I've been shouted at by my accountant as I've been putting everything through my personal credit card and then claiming it back. I have a pretty enormous reclaim on my P11D. She's recommended getting a company credit card and putting all my business expenses through that.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Are they all much of a muchness? Any of them give any benefits over others?

Cheers....

b0redom
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Exactly why did they shout at you? I put over 30k through one year when I was travelling a lot and my accountant didn't bat an eye lid.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I do the same as NLUK.

I think your accountant is p*ssed as it's more work for her.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I thought you didn't need to put travel and other things in a P11d anymore anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I thought you didn't need to put travel and other things in a P11d anymore anyway?
          As I remember from Accounting web there is confusion on what you do put on.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Because it's been 5k,8k,7k,36k or thereabouts.

Perhaps 'shouted at' is the wrong phrase, more cautioned. It's more about keeping me under the radar I think.
            And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Still no detail so can't comment on the exact situation but if you are accounting for it properly and it's meets all rules then I'd carry on with the credit card. Rack them hotel/airmiles/club card points up baby.

Comment

As long as everything that you are claiming has been incurred wholly, necessarily and exclusively for the purpose of the trade then I'm not sure why your accountant should have an issue with this. The method by which you pay for things for the business isn't as important as the type of cost incurred.

With regards to P11D, you should only be declaring any taxable benefits for 2016/17 and this should already have been filed.

Comment

OK, I'll go back and query what the problem is.

In any case, does anyone have an answer to the original question. Any recommended company credit cards?

Comment

Not from me I am afraid. Personal card over a business one is a no brainer so not bothered looking I am afraid. Many of them have a yearly fee and very little associated benefits so it seems to be a matter of picking the best worst option.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 14 July 2017, 09:10.

Comment

Working...
                    X