• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Claiming Further Education Costs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC guidance

HMRC make a special mention of not allowing claims for proprietors where it brings into place a recognised qualification such as a masters.

Please see last paragraph of link: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/bim35660

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post
      HMRC make a special mention of not allowing claims for proprietors where it brings into place a recognised qualification such as a masters.

Please see last paragraph of link: https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-man...anual/bim35660
      Thanks for the information. My accountant tells me if it an allowable expense, as it complement my current Ltd Co services. Seems like I need to research this further.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenny@MyAccountantFriend View Post

That references an MBA - the OP is going for an MSc.... I suspect it would be a far more arguable case than a generic MBA.....
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
          That references an MBA - the OP is going for an MSc.... I suspect it would be a far more arguable case than a generic MBA.....
          BIM35660 is based on a English Tutor undergoing a Diploma in Law claiming for examination re-sit fees. Thus re-training into a different field and claiming the expense is obviously a no permissible. (there goes that 2 week course on Bar management in the Bahamas )

If I did this Msc it will complement my services after undergoing a 2 year training course. (fingers crossed) (letters after my name are just a bonus). Shame if I could not undertake this course with funding via Ltd Co as lack of expertise in this area of science in the UK) (student loan is not an option for me).

Comment

Originally posted by diesel View Post
            BIM35660 is based on a English Tutor undergoing a Diploma in Law claiming for examination re-sit fees. Thus re-training into a different field and claiming the expense is obviously a no permissible. (there goes that 2 week course on Bar management in the Bahamas )

If I did this Msc it will complement my services after undergoing a 2 year training course. (fingers crossed) (letters after my name are just a bonus). Shame if I could not undertake this course with funding via Ltd Co as lack of expertise in this area of science in the UK) (student loan is not an option for me).
            But your LTD can fund it no?
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              But your LTD can fund it no?
              I meant if I cannot expense the fees and costs via my Ltd Company, I could not afford to pay for it myself in full (student loan is least preferred option).

Comment

Have a contract with your company that by paying for your studies, you agree to work for the company as long as they want and that you will not seek salary increments or overtime for the next few years or so. After all its a different entity and you are an employee. It might be treated as a BIK which may result in a bit of tax increase.

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
                  Have a contract with your company that by paying for your studies, you agree to work for the company as long as they want and that you will not seek salary increments or overtime for the next few years or so. After all its a different entity and you are an employee. It might be treated as a BIK which may result in a bit of tax increase.
                  You sure about that?

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    You sure about that?
                    When one is operating through their limited company, aren't they employee of their company (in addition to being a Director as well)?

Comment

Originally posted by Brummie View Post
                      When one is operating through their limited company, aren't they employee of their company (in addition to being a Director as well)?
                      What is the notice period stated in your contract of employment? Are you paying yourself the national minimum wage?

http://www.contractoruk.com/news/00326.html

Very old article though to be fair.

Comment

Working...
                      X