• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC 64-8 forms

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC 64-8 forms

Anyone submitted 64-8 form authorizing their accountant to receive HMRC letters and forms and give them access to your account information online?

Since starting contracting loooong time ago I had about 3 accountants, and I don't recall having to submit those.

Depending on your accountant's, a lot of us now will do this via HMRC's online portal. You would then receive a number of letters containing a code in order for us to obtain authorisation.

If that didn't happen and you also did not sign a 64-8 then your accountant would not be able to contact HMRC on your behalf.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael at BI Accountancy View Post
      Depending on your accountant's, a lot of us now will do this via HMRC's online portal. You would then receive a number of letters containing a code in order for us to obtain authorisation.

If that didn't happen and you also did not sign a 64-8 then your accountant would not be able to contact HMRC on your behalf.
      Thank you, so its a fairly usual thing? HMRC had made a mistake on my account and the accountant has been trying to sort it for months and he has submitted a complaint, but HMRC keeps sending me letters for the outstanding issue which he was told it would be looked into before sending me further letters, so he asked for these forms on the back of that.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
        Thank you, so its a fairly usual thing? HMRC had made a mistake on my account and the accountant has been trying to sort it for months and he has submitted a complaint, but HMRC keeps sending me letters for the outstanding issue which he was told it would be looked into before sending me further letters, so he asked for these forms on the back of that.
        Yes, it's one of the first processes an accountant would do when taking on a new client. After all you are paying the accountant to deal with your affairs.

I'm not sure how your accountant could have been dealing with HMRC if they did not have authority. I believe on some occasions you personally can call HMRC and ask for them to speak to your accountant, they would then give you a one time reference for you accountant to use when contacting them (only works once though).

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
          Anyone submitted 64-8 form authorizing their accountant to receive HMRC letters and forms and give them access to your account information online?

Since starting contracting loooong time ago I had about 3 accountants, and I don't recall having to submit those.
          64-8 are submitted online but sometimes the online requests can fail if you had address changes as sometimes HMRC records are not synced properly. If this is the case a paper 64-8 is filed. If you don't remember receiving a code in the post or signing a paper 64-8 then you haven't authorised your accountant to act on your behalf. It is not clear what is the complaint that your accountant filed with HMRC. It may be worth to ask them to send you copies of letters they sent to HMRC and ask them if they have the 64-8 in place.

Comment

Working...
          X