• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Flat Rate VAT Q1

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat Rate VAT Q1

So still being in my 1st year I get the 1% discount down to 15.5%.

Having (attempted to) do the calculations on my first VAT return. It looks like staying on the flat rate gives me a surplus of £9.58 (hoorah!). If I didn't have the discount, I'd be looking at paying £278.42 more than if I wasn't on the flat rate

Get the discount until Sept, so guess I'll be staying on it until then. I already document every expense with a receipt on FA anyway, is there any other overhead other than what I already do?

(Also, if it was still 13.5% I'd be looking at a surplus of £585.58 )

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
    Having (attempted to) do the calculations on my first VAT return. It looks like staying on the flat rate gives me a surplus of £9.58 (hoorah!). If I didn't have the discount, I'd be looking at paying £278.42 more than if I wasn't on the flat rate
    Is that before or after accounting for any input VAT you've paid in that quarter?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
      Is that before or after accounting for any input VAT you've paid in that quarter?
      Yep (box 4 right?), that's included in the non flat-rate calculation.

Comment

I went flat rate for new limited. I was not aware of new legislation. After 1 year I will be moving off flat rate. At 16.5%(of total invoice) you are assumed to only be paying VAT at 0.2% of what you invoice.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
          I went flat rate for new limited. I was not aware of new legislation. After 1 year I will be moving off flat rate. At 16.5%(of total invoice) you are assumed to only be paying VAT at 0.2% of what you invoice.
          You can move off flat rate whenever (if you meant you only picked it because you didn't realise). Don't have to wait until year 2. I'll be moving over in Q3 assuming the Q2 figures show the same trend.

Comment

Yep (box 4 right?), that's included in the non flat-rate calculation.
            I'm talking about on the FRS. Have you taken into account the input VAT that you were unable to reclaim when comparing the two schemes?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              I'm talking about on the FRS. Have you taken into account the input VAT that you were unable to reclaim when comparing the two schemes?
              Not sure if I'm misunderstanding (still new-ish).

I've recorded all my expenses including the VAT element. FA has completed the VAT return for me based on not being on the FRS. So I know what I would have to pay if I was not on the scheme. Which is Output VAT minus Input VAT.

I've worked out the figure I will actually have to pay because I am on the FRS, which is 15.5% of my "total cost of sales plus Output VAT". That payment to HMRC is £9.58 lower than the "Output VAT minus Input VAT".

Am I missing an important piece?

Comment

You can move off flat rate whenever (if you meant you only picked it because you didn't realise). Don't have to wait until year 2. I'll be moving over in Q3 assuming the Q2 figures show the same trend.
                Understood. However at 15.5% its not too bad. There again I think I will speak to my accountant about a couple of large purchases I made.

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
                  Understood. However at 15.5% its not too bad. There again I think I will speak to my accountant about a couple of large purchases I made.
                  Yeah, they didn't put me on the FRS in my Q1 for that exact reason. I bought a lot of equipment including an expensive laptop. Worked out much better as I hadn't billed much by then. And remember the £2000 thing. If a single invoice is at least £2k you can reclaim the VAT even while on FRS.

Comment

Not sure if I'm misunderstanding (still new-ish).

I've recorded all my expenses including the VAT element. FA has completed the VAT return for me based on not being on the FRS. So I know what I would have to pay if I was not on the scheme. Which is Output VAT minus Input VAT.

I've worked out the figure I will actually have to pay because I am on the FRS, which is 15.5% of my "total cost of sales plus Output VAT". That payment to HMRC is £9.58 lower than the "Output VAT minus Input VAT".

Am I missing an important piece?
                    Yes.

Your FRS payment is £9.58 lower. But if you've had any costs, you would have paid input VAT which you cannot reclaim.

Your calculations show you have a surplus of £9.58 for the quarter on the FRS. If your input VAT is higher than this than you're actually worse off on the FRS.

Comment

Working...
                    X