• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working in the middle east ,tax issues

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working in the middle east ,tax issues

Hi new member,

Has anyone on here worked in the middle east and had any tax problems when returning to the UK? I was under the impression when i came out here 6months ago as long as didn't return to the UK for more than 16 days i would be ok.
    The HMRC website is very difficult to understand, so was just wondering if anybody on here could steer me in the right direction or even an accountant that could help?

Thanks in advance

16 days?

Originally posted by SCOTLAD View Post
    Hi new member,

Has anyone on here worked in the middle east and had any tax problems when returning to the UK? I was under the impression when i came out here 6months ago as long as didn't return to the UK for more than 16 days i would be ok.
    The HMRC website is very difficult to understand, so was just wondering if anybody on here could steer me in the right direction or even an accountant that could help?

Thanks in advance
    If you are UK resident you are taxable on your worldwide income unless you establish non UK residence.

You won't do that in 6-months on its own. It is a complicated situation to understand, so you should speak to a tax advisor.

Comment

Hi new member,

Thanks in advance
      Wrong. Unless you achieve non resident status you pay UK tax on your worldwide earnings. Anyone who tells you different is not telling you the whole truth. Look at the HMRC guidelines, they are very clear and easy to understand.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Hi new member,

Thanks in advance
        As others have said you do need professional advice here. As a very general rule, if you are in the UK for less than 16 days in a whole tax year you will be classed as non resident under the first automatic overseas test but you need a good review of your situation to ensure you do things correctly.

Google RDR3 and have a long read for a good place to start.

Martin
        Contratax Ltd

Comment

Hi new member,

Thanks in advance
          You should deregister. From what I see you do qualify as non-resident:

you work abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spent fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working

https://www.gov.uk/tax-right-retire-abroad-return-to-uk

If you rent or own a property and return to it regularly there is a possibility you might be resident. As others have said I would take advice if you're not sure.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 3 July 2017, 16:32.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

I have worked in the Middle East, broadly speaking to be non resident you will need to be or have the intention to be out of the UK for a full tax year i.e. 6 April -5 April. Provided that you satisfy the test and then you limit your visits to the UK to less than 90 days per year, i think you should be ok.

Comment

Make sure you have notified HMRC that you left, otherwise they will be hounding you for a tax return.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                As others have said you do need professional advice here. As a very general rule, if you are in the UK for less than 16 days in a whole tax year you will be classed as non resident under the first automatic overseas test but you need a good review of your situation to ensure you do things correctly.

Google RDR3 and have a long read for a good place to start.

Martin
                Contratax Ltd
                The prerequisite condition is that you are out of the UK a FULL tax year before you can claim non tax resident status. In the year of departure and year of arrival in the UK you an claim split year treatment. But, again, you MUST have been out of the UK for a FULL tax year to qualify. As the OP has only been away six months (if I read correctly) then it is impossible for him to pass any of the automatic overseas tests. I suggest to begin with the OP uses the HMRC on line tool which determines if you are non tax resident or not. As it stands, I see no hope for the OP avoiding UK tax on his earnings.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  Make sure you have notified HMRC that you left, otherwise they will be hounding you for a tax return.
                  I presume you refer to P85? The system has now changed. If you fill in a self assessment tax return (most of us here do) then you do NOT send off a P85. You report your tax status on the normal self assessment form and you fill in a supplementary form to claim split year treatment in the year of departure, if you qualify for it.

Comment

Originally posted by dotcom12 View Post
                    I have worked in the Middle East, broadly speaking to be non resident you will need to be or have the intention to be out of the UK for a full tax year i.e. 6 April -5 April. Provided that you satisfy the test and then you limit your visits to the UK to less than 90 days per year, i think you should be ok.
                    It is now much more complex to calculate, but in essence that remains mainly true. You now have to allow for such things as number ties to the UK, family ties, residential ties, work ties, etc...... It is all quite complex but the HMRC guides are very good.

Comment

Working...
                    X