• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Company expense when bought outside UK

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Company expense when bought outside UK

Hi,

Quick question please -

If I buy something for my company from another company that is based outside of EU (so no VAT), can I claim it as a company expense? Does the purchase has to be in UK for me to claim as a business expense ?

I presume this also means I cant offset it against VAT payments. Would it then be sensible to buy from the UK?

I am on standard VAT.

Thanks

Get the cheapest to your company between cost in UK(less VAT as you can reclaim) and overseas cost.

Either is fine as a company expense.

Kind Regards
    Your Accountant

Comment

If you can prove you spent the money, and it was for business expenses, you could buy the stuff from a company on Mars, if one existed. Not sure what shipping costs would be, though.

You obviously can't reclaim VAT on it if you haven't paid VAT on it. But depending on what it is, you might actually end up paying import duties and VAT on it when they ship it into the country.

Comment

Thanks all so far, just to clarify few things

The import/ customs are all OK and so is free shipping. It is a genuine company expense. The goods are more cheaper when bought from outside the EU rather than from UK based company.

Get the cheapest to your company between cost in UK(less VAT as you can reclaim) and overseas cost.

True so if UK cost - VAT < non EU cost then UK purchase wins, correct ?

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
          Thanks all so far, just to clarify few things

The import/ customs are all OK and so is free shipping. It is a genuine company expense. The goods are more cheaper when bought from outside the EU rather than from UK based company.

True so if UK cost - VAT < non EU cost then UK purchase wins, correct ?
          Correct.

HTH

Comment

Thank you

Comment

Working...
            X