• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

HMRC confirmation of VAT change

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HMRC confirmation of VAT change

Around 5 weeks ago, I sent an email to HMRC to change from FRS to Standard VAT, backdated from 1st April 2017 (as per the guidance from their VAT Helpline).

I asked for confirmation but have not received anything from HMRC, either via email or post.

I'll chase up but what happens if I don't receive a confirmation, do I assume I'm on Standard or FRS VAT?

thanks

Your accountant not do this for you?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
      Your accountant not do this for you?
      Some of us sort out our VAT ourselves. Helps us keep an eye on the accountant.

In regards to the OP post use the 1st April.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by ContractorBanking View Post
        Around 5 weeks ago, I sent an email to HMRC to change from FRS to Standard VAT, backdated from 1st April 2017 (as per the guidance from their VAT Helpline).

I asked for confirmation but have not received anything from HMRC, either via email or post.

I'll chase up but what happens if I don't receive a confirmation, do I assume I'm on Standard or FRS VAT?

thanks
        I emailed them on 28th March (for 1st April switch) and got a letter response on 9th may (exactly 6 weeks)

Comment

You do not need to have a confirmation, so you should operate on whatever you were changing to. You aren't asking their approval to change, you are just telling them that you have changed.

You just need to have proof that you notified HMRC - see here.

Originally posted by hmrc
          this is a notification that they are leaving not an application, they do not need to wait for a letter from us to leave the scheme. If they wish to retrospectively withdraw they may do so if they have not already submitted a return. They would submit a return under standard VAT accounting and notify us of the date they left the scheme.
          Last edited by TheFaQQer; 28 June 2017, 15:18.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

I also emailed a few weeks back and have heard nothing. I've actually now deregistered so it's redundant anyway, but it would have been good to at least have received a confirmation that the email was received.
            Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

HMRC rarely respond to confirm of the change. However as long as you have written to them to confirm of what you are doing and when this applies from, it will be sufficient.

Personally, I have not had any responses from them on the returns that I have submitted over the last 2 months, which were on standard rate that we'd switched from the FRS recently.

We're all ears!

Comment

Working...
              X