• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT contractor - but going PAYE under a family members company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IT contractor - but going PAYE under a family members company?

I am about to start a new IT contract. Normally I am the director of my own limited company and have contracts done up as per usual with the agency.

However - instead, I want my sister to set up a new limited company where she is sole shareholder. I would be just a regular PAYE employee of that company.
    I believe legally this is all fine.

HOWEVER- in practice, do recruitment agencies have any issues in signing a contract with this kind of structure?

Everything else would be as normal.
    i.e. I did the interview for the role. I would be performing the service for the end-client. The only thing slightly different would be the contract signed with the company structure as outlined above.

IS this kind of thing acceptable to agencies when signing contracts?

Yes.

IANAA

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyuiop725 View Post
      I am about to start a new IT contract. Normally I am the director of my own limited company and have contracts done up as per usual with the agency.

However - instead, I want my sister to set up a new limited company where she is sole shareholder. I would be just a regular PAYE employee of that company.
      I believe legally this is all fine.

HOWEVER- in practice, do recruitment agencies have any issues in signing a contract with this kind of structure?

Everything else would be as normal.
      i.e. I did the interview for the role. I would be performing the service for the end-client. The only thing slightly different would be the contract signed with the company structure as outlined above.

IS this kind of thing acceptable to agencies when signing contracts?
      You probably need to be a director of the company (she could still be 100% shareholder though)

IANAL

Comment

I can't see why it isn't legal, unless the tax man wants to see it as avoidance. But that doesn't mean an agent won't have a problem with it. You're asking them to go into business with an unknown third party, and there's no reason why they should do that.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Why are you doing this? Sounds very suss to me, and I'm not even an HMRC inspector. I'd stock up on the lube. Smacks of trying to avoid the CSA or similar.
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Some agencies insist on you being a director of the company (which you could still be, even if you aren't a shareholder). I've also heard of some who insist that you are the majority shareholder as well. There is no logical reason for either of these.

The only reason to ask that you are a director would be that it is then very clear that you have the legal authority to enter into a contract with the agency - but that's fairly easy to do anyway. Essentially your sister's company is acting as an umbrella for you, and agencies are willing to work with them.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
              Some agencies insist on you being a director of the company (which you could still be, even if you aren't a shareholder). I've also heard of some who insist that you are the majority shareholder as well. There is no logical reason for either of these.

The only reason to ask that you are a director would be that it is then very clear that you have the legal authority to enter into a contract with the agency - but that's fairly easy to do anyway. Essentially your sister's company is acting as an umbrella for you, and agencies are willing to work with them.
              Well that's a good point. Theydo already deal with umbrella companies - which is a 3rd party - so why wouldn't they in my situation.

Although you do mention that they sometimes insist on me being a director of a company?

If that does occur, I wonder could I get the family member to set up an umbrella company - and I be employed from there?
              Does anyone have any idea if this is doable?

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyuiop725 View Post
                Well that's a good point. Theydo already deal with umbrella companies - which is a 3rd party - so why wouldn't they in my situation.

Although you do mention that they sometimes insist on me being a director of a company?

If that does occur, I wonder could I get the family member to set up an umbrella company - and I be employed from there?
                Does anyone have any idea if this is doable?
                are you banned from being a director?

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  The agent's agreement is with the company. As a director you can sign for the company, but if you're not also the major shareholder it's possible the other shareholder(s) could get rid of you as a director before the contract is up. The agent then has a contract with somebody they know nothing about, who's different from the one doing the work. Easy to see why they might take issue.

An umbrella is different as there's only a few of them and they're well established and easy to check out.

Depends how diligent they are to an extent. Maybe they won't notice or find out. Either way it's a bit dumb.
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
                    are you banned from being a director?
                    I'm not banned from being a director yet. But I plan on entering bankruptcy soon - when I will be banned.

I could go down the umbrella route - but any earnings above reasonable expenses are taken for the year and for 2 further years after bankruptcy which I obviously don't want.

Ideally - get family member set up a new limited company. Post-bankruptcy I can then buy the company from family member for a nominal token amount. That's the strategy - which is all legal by the way.

The only issue is will agencies sign a contract with company where I am the PAYE employee and family member is owner/director.

Alternatively could I get family member to set up a new umbrella company? Not sure how easy that is.

Comment

Working...
                    X