• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

IT contractor - but going PAYE under a family members company?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
    so like OP says, it would appear it's better to stay quiet and let them find out (or not) than to not have a contract at all

half a contract is more £££ than no contract!
    Or you could avoid the issue completely by working in sectors where they don't background check at all.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Or you could avoid the issue completely by working in sectors where they don't background check at all.
      I think agents/clients in all sectors would probably err on the side of caution if someone openly declared they were expecting to go bankrupt in the immediate future

Comment

I think agents/clients in all sectors would probably err on the side of caution if someone openly declared they were expecting to go bankrupt in the immediate future
        If they don't background check they won't know.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I should have stated I would be going bankrupt in Ireland as i'm Irish - so I don't think employers in the uk have visibility of the bankruptcy register there anyway (I worked in uk for many years and hope to do so in the future)

Anyway - we are getting slightly off topic (although it does provide context for my original query)

So essentially there are mixed views as to whether an agency would be prepared to sign a contract with a family member as director/owner and me PAYE yes?
          I really need some way to find this out before I go bankrupt.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could find this out even?

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyuiop725 View Post
            I should have stated I would be going bankrupt in Ireland as i'm Irish - so I don't think employers in the uk have visibility of the bankruptcy register there anyway (I worked in uk for many years and hope to do so in the future)

Anyway - we are getting slightly off topic (although it does provide context for my original query)

So essentially there are mixed views as to whether an agency would be prepared to sign a contract with a family member as director/owner and me PAYE yes?
            I really need some way to find this out before I go bankrupt.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I could find this out even?
            It seems like you're asking for some sort of affirmation from the forum ? It seems to me that you're attempting to create a future that is built on lies and expecting people here to help you get there ?

Why don't you explain everything to the agency they you're looking to work with and see what they say ?

Comment

In order to find out the prospective terms you will needto find tbe contract first. You could ask any agencies you plan on using for model contracts.

As you should realise needing to be a director is common. A shareholder less common. It is up to both parties to decide the basis on which they wlll do business.

Are you certain that your bankruptcy in ireland will legitimately allow you to hide your income or some portion of it in a uk company until discharge. Seems remarkably odd to me.

Here tbat would get you multiple significant charges (if caught). And they would also be visited upon your sister.

Comment

I think you might need to get a job...

Comment

Some interesting threads on agents insisting on sole directorship that might give the OP some insight in to potential problems.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/busin...rship-ltd.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-director.html

http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...-director.html
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                  X