• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract terminated without reason

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe if you'd mentioned you were PAYE and on a fixed term 24 month contract at the start you'd have got better advice?

Comment

Originally posted by goldilockz View Post
      Hi ASB,

Yes, it was a fixed term contract and am paid paye. The contract seems to suggest they can't drop me without notice, except under certain circumstances (none of which apply) so i'm hoping there is some wiggle room when it comes to paying my final wage.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Thank you so much Andy, this is a joy to read. My contract states 30 days notice is required by both parties. I will definitely contact CAB on Monday though I think a lawyer would be a better shout at this stage. Thank you again, I'm glad to know that I have SOME rights after all
        Whoever you speak to don't give them half a bleedin story again.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 24 June 2017, 17:25.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Whoever you speak to don't give them half a bleedin story again.
          Thanks for your input. I stated in my original message 'My contract is due to run until October 2018.' Cheers.

Comment

Thanks for your input. I stated in my original message 'My contract is due to run until October 2018.' Cheers.
            That doesn't necessarily tell us it's an FTC. They are different animals to ours and are akin to a contract of employment so quite different. You could be in a much better place now we know it is.

https://www.gov.uk/fixed-term-contra...dterm-contract

Comment

Yes, it was a fixed term contract and am paid paye.
              If you are a Fixed Term Employee with a contract of employment, then that is quite a different beast to what most of us here have. If you have Legal Expenses cover with your Home insurance, your first port of call should be them, they will have an Employment Disputes section. Failing that, try ACAS, Citizens Advice Bureau, and ultimately the Employment Tribunal.

Most contractors here are contractors (i.e. providing a contract for service) rather than employees on Fixed Term Contracts.

In your original post, it looks like actually you work via an Employment Agency, so your action would be against them. Make sure you are clear that you have an employment contract though, rather than a contract for services paid through an Umbrella company.
              Taking a break from contracting

Comment

Who is the fixed term contract with? (I am not convinced you do have one)

Is it with the emplomemy business or the end client?

In any event CAB should assist you in bringing a case to tribunal which is ultimately where it may go.

Without sight it is difficult to ascertain whether or not they are in breach of it procedurally or by performance (i.e. even if you were incompetent summary dismissal in the way it was made could very easily be procedurally fatal).

If you have legal representation available via insurance or perhaps union it may help. If not be aware that an emploment solicitot is hoing to be expensive.

Now, as to that contract...

It seems to me more likely you are in fact "a temp". Or you have been shuffled into an umbrella arrangememt.

It is important you are attacking the right party for the right reasons and you need to clear this up.
                Last edited by ASB; 25 June 2017, 05:34.

Comment

Are you PAYE through the end client, PAYE through an umbrella company, PAYE through your own limited company, or something else?
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I have been contracting for the past 8 months for a company via a recruitment agency.
                    Fixed term contracts are not generally what is understood by the word "contracting" despite having the word "contract" in it.

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                      Fixed term contracts are not generally what is understood by the word "contracting" despite having the word "contract" in it.
                      We are talking about a new poster who probably doesn't understand that much - all he saw was work and he didn't look that closely at the details.

Its also why I think NLUK is unfair in stating that the OP only gave half the story. He wrote done what he thought was relevant - it was only his lack of knowledge that meant he gave us half the story.

Andy Hallett has however answered the question - if the OP is on PAYE the terms of his contract will need to be met...
                      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Working...
                      X