• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now show, zero VAT

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now show, zero VAT

Booked a hotel few weeks ago which had a price which included 20% vat according to the confirmation email.
    As it was the lowest possible price I couldn't get a refund when not using the reservation, I accept that fully, that's the risk I take by booking at the lowest rate.
    So when I asked for an invoice for the time I didn't show up they gave me a no show, zero vat invoice for the same total amount as the original booking. Leaving it impossible for me to claim back VAT.

Is the hotel right doing this or should they have refunded me the VAT element?
    Or can I claim back VAT on it anyway?

Are you flat rate or not?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I'm on normal VAT rate, left flat rate in April when the changes came in

Comment

They should refund your 20%.

Comment

It's possible that showing VAT at 20% in the confirmation email was an error.

I think for any claim to be refunded the 20% you'd have to show that the price was advertised as including VAT at 20% in the pre-sale information - either on the hotel page or on the shopping basket or in the terms somewhere. Otherwise they could just say the price was £x including VAT at 0% and the confirmation email was just a mistake.

The fact you've been sent an invoice showing a zero rate would seem to suggest the email was wrong.

Comment

was this booked direct with the hotel or through someone like expedia/hotels.com?

If you book a hotel through a website that isn't a UK company, e.g. hotels.com, and you pay in advance (usually no cancellation), you can't claim the VAT back as you haven't been charged any by the foreign company and they aren't VAT registered.

If you book through them but pay at the hotel, you can as the UK based hotel will be charging you vat.

Comment

I'm guessing its Premier Inn cause I've had this too.

If you read carefully the invoice will show a 'no show fee' or similar.
              This is fee they are charging is technically not a hotel booking fee and does not attract VAT.
              Still Invoicing

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
                was this booked direct with the hotel or through someone like expedia/hotels.com?

If you book a hotel through a website that isn't a UK company, e.g. hotels.com, and you pay in advance (usually no cancellation), you can't claim the VAT back as you haven't been charged any by the foreign company and they aren't VAT registered.

If you book through them but pay at the hotel, you can as the UK based hotel will be charging you vat.
                It was booked direct with the hotel, VAT number was in the confirmation

blacjac
                I'm guessing its Premier Inn cause I've had this too.
                No it was Accor Hotels - Novotel

I asked for an explanation a few days ago, as I stay there regularly and the manager said something vaguely about covering the cost for the hotel.

Comment

If you think VAT is excluded then kick up a fuss with Head Office in writing and report them to HMRC for tax evasion.

I did so recently with a mobile phone retailer and they refunded me the VAT to pay to HMRC.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ermm...

VAT stands for Value Added Tax, essentially it's a tax on providing something over and above the cost of the thing you bought. You didn't show up so they did not provide a service so VAT cannot be applied. What you've been billed for is the opportunity cost of an unlet room, not the provision of a service.
                    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Working...
                    X