• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

UK contractor in Belgium - VAT question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Certifiedpro View Post
    A) is the agency incorrect to suggest that I charge VAT??
    B) if I do not charge vat, how do I claim for expenses??
    VAT and expenses are not really related.

If you are VAT registered then you pay VAT on some products that you buy (output tax) and collect VAT on services that you provide (input tax) you then pay(claim) this to(from) HRMC: input - output.

If your total output tax is greater than your input tax then you get a refund from HMRC. This is all assuming that you are registered and paying tax in the UK.

If you are providing the services from the UK to Belgium then as people have suggested you wouldn't charge VAT on your invoice as this would fall under the intra-EU reverse charge.

However it sounds like you are providing the services from Belgium and therefore you should adding Belgium TVA onto your invoices and be registered in Belgium with their HRMC equivalent - and offsetting your output tax against this.

It sounds like you need to take the advice of a Belgian accountant/tax adviser.

Comment

Speak to Sue @ iPaye.

PS I stopped reading past the point of your UK company charging Belgian VAT. Hopefully the posts in between that and this scared you into professional advice.
      https://uk.linkedin.com/in/andyhallett

Comment

Working...
      X