• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

LTD Closure - most tax efficient way?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LTD Closure - most tax efficient way?

Hi All,

First time poster so apologies if any Q's get asked regularly!

I'm looking to close my LTD at the end of this month, having not traded for the past 3.

After corp tax has been paid (will pay before end of June), there will be around £450k of profits lying in the account, which I'd like to withdraw personally.

I've been put in touch with "tax experts" by my accountant, but I'm a bit worried about some of the schemes etc they're mentioning, and the horror stories I've then read online to be brutally honest!

For anyone interested in what schemes have been put forward:

Umbrella Asset Trust (UAT)
    Enterprise Investment Scheme (EIS) – no CT deduction

What would be the "best" way to withdraw this sum, and what could I come out with, by doing everything "by the books" so to speak, and not having to worry about HMRC coming after me for the next 5 years?

Any advice would be appreciated!

If you have those amounts of profits still left in there, if you don't plan to close this Ltd and start another one, MVL is most likely the best route and discuss if you are eligible for Entrepreneur's Relief (effectively 10% tax on withdrawing the profits).

You are best to speak to an expert in MVL's though to go through your circumstances in full.

I'd recommend MVL Online - Chris Maslin
    We're all ears!

Comment

MVLOnline

So long as you're not looking to contract again within the next 2 years.

Comment

Are you continuing to trade in the same industry as before?

Define "best" - least risk? most take home? Because the approach to get the "best" will differ depending on what you really want.

How much money do you need to live on from the company? Do you have a pension plan? Has it existed in the past? How close to retirement are you?

There are lots of variables to consider.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
          MVLOnline

So long as you're not looking to contract again within the next 2 years.
          Sorry guys, missed an important point I guess! I have another company running which will continue to run - it's just this one specifically that will be closing.

Does that stop me from the "MVL" option?

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            Are you continuing to trade in the same industry as before?

Define "best" - least risk? most take home? Because the approach to get the "best" will differ depending on what you really want.

How much money do you need to live on from the company? Do you have a pension plan? Has it existed in the past? How close to retirement are you?

There are lots of variables to consider.
            Yes, continuing to trade in the same industry.

By "best" I probably mean least risk, since I just don't want to live in fear, or worry about what could possibly arise somewhere down the line.

It's not so much as what I need to live on - I'd just like to withdraw and have the company closed, so that I know what I've got the 'play with'. Sorry if that comes across as a bit vague/stupid!

I don't need a pension plan - I'm currently 30...

Thanks!

Comment

It does depend a little on what you are currently doing also.

If you are currently employed or carrying on activity in the same or a similar trade or activity then it may not be possible to treat any distribution as capital gains, which would preclude entrepreneur's relief.

You may be able, technically to treat this as a capital distribution and claim entrepreneur's relief if you are employed as HMRC's current guidance states that employment is not included within the definition of "same or similar trade or activity". Their guidance can change at any point however and HMRC could seek to overturn this treatment if applied.

If they did and were successful in doing so then any distribution would be treated as dividend income.

Comment

Originally posted by whatwhatwhat View Post
                around £450k of profits lying in the account
                I'm currently 30...
                Sickening
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Sorry guys, missed an important point I guess! I have another company running which will continue to run - it's just this one specifically that will be closing.

Does that stop me from the "MVL" option?

Cheers
                  Yes this complicates matters somewhat.

So you have 2 IT contracting companies running concurrently? Some contractors have a Ltd Co per contract they take on. They cite limited risk as the reason. Regardless of the reason, the likelihood is that you won't be able to claim ER if you have another IT company running.

If your other Co is not IT related, then it shouldn't be a problem claiming ER so long as you're prepared to accept the 2 year rule.

Comment

Sorry for the delay guys. Really appreciate the input thus far.

Yes, the 2 ltd's are running concurrently right now, and they're both in the IT sector, so it's now clear it's a no-go.

So, if I want no stress/worries re. HMRC, am I do be paying 45% on the £450k? Ouch!

Comment

Working...
                    X