• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Invoices - is a unique ref no essential?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Invoices - is a unique ref no essential?

Is it a legal requirement for a company to use sequential unique ref no on invoices? If so, why would a company not comply, what would they benefit? And if they don't comply, would HMRC even notice or do anything about it? Thanks for any guidance.

http://forums.contractoruk.com/showthread.php?t=80544
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The ‘invoice number’ can be numerical, or it can be a combination of numbers and letters, as long as it forms part of a unique and sequential series.

A VAT invoice must show: An invoice number which is unique and follows on from the number of the previous invoice - if you spoil or cancel a serially numbered invoice, you must keep it to show to a VAT officer at your next VAT inspection
      Join IPSE

Comment

https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-tak...y-must-include

Having a sequential number makes it easier to see which have been paid and which are outstanding. Something that might prove useful if you wanted to demonstrate to HMRC that you're in control of Your Cos finances and that everything is above board.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
          https://www.gov.uk/invoicing-and-tak...y-must-include

Having a sequential number makes it easier to see which have been paid and which are outstanding. Something that might prove useful if you wanted to demonstrate to HMRC that you're in control of Your Cos finances and that everything is above board.
          In some countries (Italy?) the sequence must be numerical and have no gaps in it at all. That way it makes it harder to "lose" an invoice and pocket the cash, and why you always get a receipt for everything.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

AFAIK the unique sequential requirement only applies to valid VAT invoices although I don't think there's anything stopping you from having more than one sequence (e.g. CLIENTA-001, CLIENTA-002, CLIENTB-001 etc.).

Comment

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
              AFAIK the unique sequential requirement only applies to valid VAT invoices although I don't think there's anything stopping you from having more than one sequence (e.g. CLIENTA-001, CLIENTA-002, CLIENTB-001 etc.).
              That's how I've always done it. Sometimes I've included an agent code as well, eg AAA-CCC-NNN where AAA is the agency, CCC is the client and NNN is the sequential number. At the moment I just use CCCNNN since there's no agent in the mix.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                In some countries (Italy?) the sequence must be numerical and have no gaps in it at all. That way it makes it harder to "lose" an invoice and pocket the cash, and why you always get a receipt for everything.
                And and a right pain it can be as well. I remember implementing SAP for an Italian company.

What's the procedure if you accidentally issue two invoices with the same number.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  And and a right pain it can be as well. I remember implementing SAP for an Italian company.

What's the procedure if you accidentally issue two invoices with the same number.
                  Don't even get me me started on the fiscal rules for point of sale eastern europe.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

IIRC, Oracle has a default cache on the invoice number sequence (or it used to) which needs to be disabled when you are in environments like this. All fun and games
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014

Comment

Working...
                    X