• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract Terminated - Brand and Professional Skill Damage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract Terminated - Brand and Professional Skill Damage

Hi All,

[Please be gentle I am new here]

I am really looking for some advise and guidance on how to move forward with this odd situation.

I have been with the client for 10 months. I was brought in directly and didn’t go though any agency and invoiced the client direct on a monthly basis.

A new manager started 2 weeks ago and is trying to play ‘saviour’ on a distressed project. I had a couple of animated meetings (to say the least) where we had a few professional differences, but I saw it as being work and nothing else. Unknown to the new manager I had already handed in my notice to the previous Manager and was working my notice period. However, yesterday I received a rather ominous email from the individual citing a few issues with the quality of my work, professionalism and skills to do the job, and for that reason they company is termination my contact within immediate effect.

Stating the obvious, this did come to me as a shock as at no stage during my 10 months was the quality of my work, effort, skills ever questioned or under any scrutiny. It was rather the opposite, where I have been ‘praised’ for my contribution and asked to take on more etc. Yesterday, the new individual insisted I had over everything yesterday before leaving for the day, which I did. However, I did gone back on the email asking them to evidence when was my work/deliverables below standard. I have had no response since!

I understand my contact is not an employment contact, but a contact to supply services – However, I do think the contract has been terminated without any substantial reason or evidence. I have been contacting for over 8 years and I see this as a bad reflection of my Company and my other clients.

Is there anything I can do? If Yes how do I go about it?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Ranger2017 View Post
    Hi All,

[Please be gentle I am new here]

I am really looking for some advise and guidance on how to move forward with this odd situation.

I have been with the client for 10 months. I was brought in directly and didn’t go though any agency and invoiced the client direct on a monthly basis.

A new manager started 2 weeks ago and is trying to play ‘saviour’ on a distressed project. I had a couple of animated meetings (to say the least) where we had a few professional differences, but I saw it as being work and nothing else. Unknown to the new manager I had already handed in my notice to the previous Manager and was working my notice period. However, yesterday I received a rather ominous email from the individual citing a few issues with the quality of my work, professionalism and skills to do the job, and for that reason they company is termination my contact within immediate effect.

Stating the obvious, this did come to me as a shock as at no stage during my 10 months was the quality of my work, effort, skills ever questioned or under any scrutiny. It was rather the opposite, where I have been ‘praised’ for my contribution and asked to take on more etc. Yesterday, the new individual insisted I had over everything yesterday before leaving for the day, which I did. However, I did gone back on the email asking them to evidence when was my work/deliverables below standard. I have had no response since!

I understand my contact is not an employment contact, but a contact to supply services – However, I do think the contract has been terminated without any substantial reason or evidence. I have been contacting for over 8 years and I see this as a bad reflection of my Company and my other clients.

Thanks.
    Immediate thought - put in a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act and see what turns up. Otherwise, blacklist the client and move on.

Sorry, it's a bit crap, so no harm sounding off on t'Internet.

Comment

In that 8 years when have you ever had to submit references that have been checked or had to rely of feedback from past clients to get your new gigs? When have you ever needed your brand to get gigs?

Let's not forget your brand has given notice and left a gig early. That's not exactly something to band about either really.

It happens on bad gigs, well even good ones as well. If they want you gone you go. They could have been a bit smarter and just withdrawn any work for you to do. That way you don't work, you don't get a signed timesheet and you don't get paid. Effectively the same without the 'he says, she says' element.

Best not to get too precious about it and move on. No one likes getting binned but it's happens with flexible resources, particularly on failing projects.
      Last edited by northernladuk; 6 June 2017, 14:57.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

If the project is failing you have done well out of there.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If the project is failing you have done well out of there.
          I wonder if at that point the project suddenly starts improving

Comment

Presumably you have already got a new contract to go to, so it's water under the bridge.

Just write the role up appropriately and accurately on your CV and move on to the next role.
            Best Forum Advisor 2014
            Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
            Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
              Immediate thought - put in a Subject Access Request under the Data Protection Act and see what turns up. Otherwise, blacklist the client and move on.

Sorry, it's a bit crap, so no harm sounding off on t'Internet.
              Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably try it and see if anything comes out of it.

The key thing I am concerned about it that the end client will probably be withdrawing their contract from the client I am providing services to. I received an email form the end client this morning, saying they were surprised to hear of my sudden exit and they think I was the best person for the job. Putting all that aside, if the end client decides to drag my client through legal compensation etc , am I in the clear? or do i send something to them in writing that the grounds they have terminated is unfair and unsubstantiated.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll probably try it and see if anything comes out of it.

The key thing I am concerned about it that the end client will probably be withdrawing their contract from the client I am providing services to. I received an email form the end client this morning, saying they were surprised to hear of my sudden exit and they think I was the best person for the job. Putting all that aside, if the end client decides to drag my client through legal compensation etc , am I in the clear? or do i send something to them in writing that the grounds they have terminated is unfair and unsubstantiated.
                Is there anything in your contract to stop you going direct? It maybe the client shares your opinion of the new manager.

End clients don't typically send emails like that unless there fishing...
                Make Mercia Great Again!

Comment

You do what The FaQQer says. Nothing more, nothing less.

Comment

You have a contract with the client, and gave notice properly (one presumes). The fact that the client brought that date closer and the end client is unhappy is nothing to do with you, it's between the two other businesses.

I would thank the end client for their kind thoughts and explain that you had hoped to continue the contract until you were due to leave. I wouldn't start mentioning things that don't need to be mentioned - they know you are good, they are pleased with your work, so they know the reality of the situation.
                    Best Forum Advisor 2014
                    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
                    X