• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ltd Insurances (PI, PL and EL)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ltd Insurances (PI, PL and EL)

So PI, PL and EL, we all know for your average IT contractor these are a swizz, you're never likely to claim on them and we only take out these policies because they are required as evidence by agencies before starting a new contract. To all intents and purposes they are the equivalent of throwing a few hundred notes out of the window every renewal date. So mine are due for renewal, am in a contract at the mo which will likely extend until the end of the year if not longer. Do I bother renewing now or do I wait until I am required to provide evidence again that I have them for my next contract down the line?

Rather depends on how much you care about contractual fraud. They aren't there just to protect you...
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

A lot of agencies are now wise to that and will send you an email asking you for up dated documents a couple of weeks before or after your policies run out.

I don't know what happens if you don't have them....
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Is the reward really worth the risk?

Comment

CUK like a mysterious type of time machine.....

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
          MY PI/PL/EL insurances are up at the end of this month, my next contract renewal is 5 months away, do I bother renewing them straight away or wait until I next need to show evidence of them? Lets face it the only reason we fork out for them is because evidence of holding them is required when we sign a contract, on ones ever claimed on them so its the equivalent of throwing 300 odd quid out of the window every year. Thoughts?
          http://forums.contractoruk.com/accou...al-timing.html
          The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Renew now. Companies are getting increasing litigious. Why take the risk?

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
              Renew now. Companies are getting increasing litigious. Why take the risk?
              Because he's never claimed he thinks he will never claim so doesn't need them.

He's forgot the basic principle you buy insurance where you cannot afford to self-insure if things go wrong. So in this case unless you have a few million quid you buy the insurance.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                Because he's never claimed he thinks he will never claim so doesn't need them.

He's forgot the basic principle you buy insurance where you cannot afford to self-insure if things go wrong. So in this case unless you have a few million quid you buy the insurance.
                Ah yes. I seem to remember something in accountancy called utility value? Basically £5000 has a utility value of more than a thousand times that of £5.

Its not just settling the claim. Its the legal fees in fighting it. You can lose any assets you have very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Every year I ask the same question and every year you all berate me enough that I renew anyway... just off to get my credit card and give QDOS some moolah

Comment

Working...
                    X