• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Delayed contract start due to incompetence of on-boarders - who foots the bill?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Delayed contract start due to incompetence of on-boarders - who foots the bill?

I am due to start a new contract this week. I signed the initial contract over two months ago and have completed all the required on-boarding checks as soon as any have been presented to me. Due to the incompetence of the on-boarding agencies however, these checks were not confirmed to have been completed in time for me to start my contract on the agreed date (believe me, both I and my agency have chased this at every turn over the last few weeks, but the sheer incompetence of the relevant on-boarding agencies is quite staggering).

The on-boarding agencies have finally confirmed they're ok to let me on site, but I was unable to start on the agreed date. I don't see why I or my company should be penalised financially for this delay.

I have also this evening been asked to sign an amendment to my contract stating the start date as tomorrow. So far I am refusing, as I do not want this to be taken as my acceptance of the delay and therefore a waiver of a billable day.

From what I understand (I'm joining a rather large organisation), I'm not likely to be the only one in this position.

What is my best course of action? Advice appreciated.

(Out of interest, the on-boarding process commenced in late March, and both I and my agency have been scrupulously prompt in providing all required information and completed forms throughout).

You do. That's the default position. No work, no pay. Stick with it if it's really awesome, or find another gig to start immediately and cry breach of contract if they try to get you to do the work (or at least find a clever way to get some money out of them when already billing elsewhere).

Comment

Oh hang on, are we talking about one day here??

Comment

1 day? Forget about it.

1 week? Forget about it.

1 month? Well... Haha, forget about it.

Enjoy the contract.
        Last edited by l35kee; 30 May 2017, 21:09.

Comment

It's not billable. You didn't work it.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by FullArmSink View Post
            (Out of interest, the on-boarding process commenced in late March, and both I and my agency have been scrupulously prompt in providing all required information and completed forms throughout).
            So you filled in the forms and haven't drowned them in kindness to get their arse into gear and process your form to stop you annoying them. Schoolboy error that one.

There is a simple way to ensure these forms get processed quickly. Check with everyone you name that they are still able to confirm you were working there and if that fails get another name organised before you fill the form in. Done properly I've got a 2 week turnaround done in 6 hours simply be bugging the person doing the onboarding and priming everyone up for the call.
            Last edited by eek; 30 May 2017, 22:03.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

The agreements between the agency and the client sometimes are not like we expect, for some reason could have some changes.

I wouldn't put the contract at risk because of one day.

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                Done properly I've got a 2 week turnaround done in 6 hours simply be buggering the person doing the onboarding and priming everyone up for the call.
                I'm not sure I want a contract THAT much!

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                  I meant bugging not buggering - meh its late and I'm still working....
                  merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by jmo21 View Post
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X