• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

unfair dismissal legal action

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The general feeling is that as a contractor you have no rights. You have to suck everything up and move on.
    My feeling is that you do have rights but its not worth the hassle. Best to write it off as a bad job and start hunting for something else asap....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

First rule of contracting an agent is never your friend even though he may talk to you like he/she is. NEVER tell them ANYTHING or give them references before you have been offered work, I am in their faces with this even if they tell me its a deal breaker if I don't provide them, and NEVER EVER cough to knowing someone within an organisation. Its just another technique to glean intelligence from you.

Comment

The OP does have a variety of rights.

There a rights under their contract of employment to the umbtrella. If there is one in the chain. There are rights in any contract for services if they have entered into one. The prospects of these being helpful is likely vanishingly small.

In terms of the actions of the end client on the OP they are afforded protection via the employment protection legislation. The possibility exists that the OP is protected as a result of meeting the definition of worker. Again it is a very slim possibility. I recall there was one success some years ago.

The barriers are very high. It largely comes down to

"You can't do that"
        "I just did, your move"

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
          The barriers are very high. It largely comes down to

"You can't do that"
          "I just did, your move"
          Lol, yup. The law is only really relevant if everyone involved considers it relevant. If people ignore the law, it's typically extremely expensive and difficult to have anything done about it.

Comment

unfair dismissal legal action

Originally posted by mathus View Post
            I didnt give the full picture. I wasnt ready to give the interview. The agent heckled my everyday just to have a casual chat with his colleague (not with the company). So not being rude, I just gave it. I accept my naivity and learnt a lesson.

But what I dont agree with your suggestion of going back to permie. You dont chicken out at the first sign of trouble. You fall, learn and get up and move on.

Thanks for your advice anyways. Keeping it positive

Perhaps you were just tulip then and it's just a coincidence the SMS came at same time?

SMS from agent to your boss said

Is newbie working for you? He is looking to jump ship? Drinks soon on me xx

Boss, yup, thanks I will get rid

Comment

Working...
            X