• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

unfair dismissal legal action

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still thinking like a permie. "Lost my job", "unfairly dismissed" are not phrases i'd be using any more (and I'm only 2 months in!)

Comment

Sounds rough, and I think you're right to feel screwed. Nothing you can do about it though, so, as others have said, chalk it up to experience and move on.

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
        Still thinking like a permie. "Lost my job", "unfairly dismissed" are not phrases i'd be using any more (and I'm only 2 months in!)
        Totally this. If the OP starts thinking like a contractor and using the right terminology what to do in situations like this will become much clearer.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by mathus View Post
          Hi

This is my first post.

I was working as a contractor for just over a month with a credit card company. Meanwhile a recruiting agency persistently phoned me to interview for another online retail company. At first he didnt say any interview, he said it would be casual chat with somone from his agency who works in that company. Only after agreeing he sends an interview confirmation email.

Long story short, during the first round of telephone interview, which went very well, I was asked by the person interviweing me, if I knew so and so guys (including my manager's manager) in the company I was currently working. I said to her that I worked for them. After the interview my manager recieves an SMS and she sarcastically comments that she got a feedback request for someone who joined the company within one month. (This comment was pointing directly to me). I know this as I was sitting next to her. I immediately inform this to the reruiting agency, who assure me that it would be a mere conincidence and that nobody would have told my manager. So I trusted them and didnt take any action.

And two days later I am fired from the company I was working for without any notice citing performance issues (i.e I'm pairing to get things done). This performance reason is an excuse for my manager to get rid of me. Since she recieved the text her behaviour towards me changed and used to be harsh (finding ways to blame). I wasnt given any notice either.

When I told this to the recruiting agency, they cancelled my second round interview as the retail company said that I was blaming them for unprofessionalism.

Now I'm a bit confused of what do to, I lost my job and the company who wanted to hire me turned me down.

There has been an abuse of power from my manager and cofidentialy protection was missed by the company trying to interview me. I feel like taking them to court, but as I havent done this before I'm very unclear on where to start. Any guidance here will be helpful.

Thanks,
          You are, sorry, were a contractor so you havent been dismissed. Your contract has been terminated.

You got played for the newbie you are by the agent although frankly, why you were keen on another interview 1 month into a contract goodness only knows.

It sounds like you were tempted into the first contract because of the money, perhaps that's why you agreed to the telephone interview because of the rate offered (if the credit card co is based in the north west, their rates are tulipe for newbies but even so).

You're not cut out to be a contractor imho so you need to go back permie.

Comment

Originally posted by fannyadams View Post
            Why do you think you were unfairly dismissed? Did you have a contract of employment, or a contract of services? If the latter, then unfair dismissal doesn't come into it - the client no longer required yourCo's services and terminated in line with the provisions in the contract.
            Wrong. You're thinking of a contract FOR services. There is a big, big difference.
            When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by le3ky View Post
              Well good for you. I am so glad there are so many people around who know what to do and say from day one of contracting and can make the judgement that people should go back to being a permie on the basis of a screw up. The rest of us learn from our mistakes (and I've made quite a few) but it's the learning that makes us better at what we do and how we do it.

To the OP; you've learned a rotten lesson. Now look for something else and don't do it again.

Comment

There are fights worth fighting. There are times to take legal action (like when the agent refuses to pay £xx,xxx you are owed and lie to you and the client about it).
                This is not a fight worth fighting.

You have (hopefully) learned a lesson.

It's the summer! While you're looking for your next contract, enjoy the good weather.
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post
                  Well good for you. I am so glad there are so many people around who know what to do and say from day one of contracting and can make the judgement that people should go back to being a permie on the basis of a screw up. The rest of us learn from our mistakes (and I've made quite a few) but it's the learning that makes us better at what we do and how we do it.

To the OP; you've learned a rotten lesson. Now look for something else and don't do it again.
                  Some people do their research before jumping into contracting.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Some people do their research before jumping into contracting.
                    I don't know what research would have helped in this case, SE. Even Stek said he would talk to other agents early in a contract. I think the OP was just naïve and has a lot to learn about how agents 'operate'.

And I will happily admit I didn't do much in the way of research before entering contracting; my learning was 'on the job'. I also worked in a warzone and I didn't do much research before going there either, or trust me I wouldn't have got past the front door!

Comment

Originally posted by Elliegirl View Post

I never said they should go back to permie! That was someone else :P

Comment

Working...
                      X