• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Taking a salary equal to lower earnings limit

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is easy to register for PAYE, and easy to use Basic PAYE Tools.

Pondlife's comment about your wife having to work for her salary is accurate but not if your wife is a director. Call it a director's stipend if HMRC ever comes asking. That's justification enough, for £8K, to convince them it isn't worth trying to cause trouble. I am unaware of HMRC challenging a spouse director's stipend since the Arctic case, which they lost.

When you pay a salary of £8K or even £11K, you not only get your wife a qualifying year for state pension eligibility, that amount is also an expense so you don't pay corporation tax on it. But is your wife getting a qualifying year via child benefit anyway? Does that render the state pension eligibility concern moot? I don't know how eligibility works for mothers receiving child benefit, but you might want to check this out before taking action strictly because of pension eligibility. If you are doing it to save corporation and dividend tax, of course, then it is worth it even if you don't need it for pension eligibility.

There's one thing that is screaming at me in your original post, though. You are not a full-time contractor, you are part time. I assume that means you have another job. That means the advice above to pay both you and your wife £11.5K is probably not sound. You might want to give more details here about your own specific situation, or talk to a good accountant. Whatever you do, don't follow the advice of a bunch of people on the Internet who don't have the full picture.

There are two great limiters to the advice you get here. The first is the fact that we don't have all the relevant data. The second is that not everyone here knows what they are talking about. But there is a great advantage, too. Even accountants get things wrong (easy for me to say since I'm not one), and if the advice that is given is flawed, someone is likely to point it out.

Comment

My wife works full time and is also paid some dividends from my company (as she is entitled to). I have a little spreadsheet that figures out how much her shareholding should be now

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
        If you're going to pay your wife £8k or £11k, you are going to have to be able to demonstrate that she is doing that amount of work for the company.

You can't claim she does £8k's worth of work because she once handed you your mobile when an agent rang you.
        You can appoint her as Company Secretary which has legal responsibilities which alone would account for such a salary.
        "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
          You can appoint her as Company Secretary which has legal responsibilities which alone would account for such a salary.
          Not if she doesn't lift a finger to fulfill those responsibilities surely.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 31 May 2017, 22:31.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            The secretary is accountable that's what they are paid for who undertakes the actual work doesn't matter as I understand it.

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

The secretary is accountable that's what they are paid for who undertakes the actual work doesn't matter as I understand it.
              Surely if that's the case you can appoint any family member or friends as Co sec..........
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Surely if that's the case you can appoint any family member or friends as Co sec..........
                I guess so but there would have to be no reciprocal return of any monies paid.

Comment

Since he said in the OP that she's already a director, which has legal responsibilities, this would be pointless.

There is still the legal liabilities the position entails, whether she "does anything" or not. That merits compensation. And it's likely he discusses with her decisions about which contracts to take, what kind of rates he should pursue, etc. That's director-like responsibilities. And having a second director is a form of "insurance" -- if something happens to him, there is someone to oversee payment of any outstanding liabilities, disbursement of funds, winding up the company, etc. Even if she never has to do that stuff, it's worth paying her something to have her in the role to take on the responsibilities of it if needed.

All that stuff is valuable. And giving a spouse compensation for it is often challenged on CUK, but not challenged by HMRC.

And to the further comment, of course, you could appoint anyone as Co Sec. There's probably restrictions on appointing a minor, but anyone else, you could. As MH said, though, don't expect any of the money to come back to you in a kickback.

Comment

It's like being on call. You get paid for it even if you end up not having to do anything. You get paid just for accepting the responsibility.

Comment

The OPs wife is a Director (a point I missed in my original reply) and as such is entitled to a Stipend/Salary because a Director has legal responsibilities. For a private company there are no legal responsibilities the a Co Sec HAS to perform and there is no longer a legal requirement to have one AFAIK.

If your partner is a director, they can take a stipend/salary
                      If your partner is a Co Sec, they must demonstrate that they are performing duties in line with their level of remuneration as I understand it.

Any accountants want to clarify?

Comment

Working...
                      X