• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NI Calculations

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NI Calculations

I know NI is a little different to tax calculations isn't it? With tax if you pay too much one week/month then it generally levels out next time - so you still pay the same over the year.

Isnt NI different? i.e. based on that particular week/month and no levelling out?

On this basis, what would be better, 5 days one week, 0 days the next week, or 4 days one week, 1 day next week pay?
    Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    I know NI is a little different to tax calculations isn't it? With tax if you pay too much one week/month then it generally levels out next time - so you still pay the same over the year.

Isnt NI different? i.e. based on that particular week/month and no levelling out?

On this basis, what would be better, 5 days one week, 0 days the next week, or 4 days one week, 1 day next week pay?

Comment

Why?

Are you trying to work out the most tax efficient way to organise your trip to Disneyland this year?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
        Why?

Are you trying to work out the most tax efficient way to organise your trip to Disneyland this year?
        ^Disneyworld - to spend my job seekers money

Comment

It's lucky you don't have to think to breathe.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Go on I'll bite

NI is calculated by reference to your pay period (which for yourself I believe is weekly) and therefore each week you receive 1/52 of the annual NI allowance tax free and this equates to the first £157 being free of NI. If you don't get paid in a pay period you can't carry forward the unused allowance, it is wasted, because unlike tax NI allowances aren't cumulative (other than for directors).

In your example you would probably be better off having 4 days and 1 day rather than 5 & 0 because in the later you don't get paid in one week so lose out on that amount on NI tax free.

HTH

Martin
              Contratax Ltd

Comment

Dear Lord

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                  Go on I'll bite

NI is calculated by reference to your pay period (which for yourself I believe is weekly) and therefore each week you receive 1/52 of the annual NI allowance tax free and this equates to the first £157 being free of NI. If you don't get paid in a pay period you can't carry forward the unused allowance, it is wasted, because unlike tax NI allowances aren't cumulative (other than for directors).

In your example you would probably be better off having 4 days and 1 day rather than 5 & 0 because in the later you don't get paid in one week so lose out on that amount on NI tax free.

HTH

Martin
                  Contratax Ltd
                  You do know you're just enabling his learned helplessness.

Comment

Originally posted by ContrataxLtd View Post
                    Go on I'll bite

HTH

Martin
                    Contratax Ltd
                    Cheers martin - thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X