• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Working from the US on a spousal Visa

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working from the US on a spousal Visa

Hi,

I am currently 6 months into a 24 month contract with a client and my wife's work (permanent) have asked her to do an 18-month secondment in the US. As part of this I would get a spousal (non-working) visa for the US.

My client is happy for me to work remotely as it is a global project, is this possible?

What if I were to move back and forth between the US and UK? Can I work (and charge) for the time that I'm in the US or will the US have a problem with that?

Thanks in advance for any help

Originally posted by stirlingblue View Post
    Hi,

I am currently 6 months into a 24 month contract with a client and my wife's work (permanent) have asked her to do an 18-month secondment in the US. As part of this I would get a spousal (non-working) visa for the US.

My client is happy for me to work remotely as it is a global project, is this possible?

What if I were to move back and forth between the US and UK? Can I work (and charge) for the time that I'm in the US or will the US have a problem with that?

Thanks in advance for any help
    Which bit of the non-working part of the visa do you not understand .

Work is usually taxed where its done, so I'm guessing you would face issues doing any work from the US.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

The USofA takes this very seriously (and I'd expect even more so with Trump in charge) so expect to be deported and banned from travelling there for (even on a tourist visa) for quite a while.

Comment

It can work but you will need the right US visa to do so.

If your wife goes to the US to work on a L1 visa (intra-company transfer) then you should be able to work on a L2 visa. You will need to apply separately for an EAD card which takes about a month once you arrived in the US. I would also speak to a suitably qualified accountant (US & UK tax law) as you will open yourself up to US taxes which as you may know require you to declare your global income so your UK income will be recorded in the US.

Comment

Working...
        X