• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Section 660A - Changes on the horizon?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    IMO, to be legislated away over the next parliament or two. The proposals now in the long grass will stay there. Make no mistake, the tax benefits enjoyed to date by contractors are rapidly coming to an end.
    I agree with the tail end of your comment, but I don't agree with your earlier one (that divi taxes make it irrelevant).

Doesn't matter whether dividend allowance goes down and/or tax rates go up. As long as marginal rates of tax increase as income increases, there's going to be incentive to transfer income from higher earning individuals to lower ones. This applies whether the low rates are 0% and high rates 25% (as a couple of years ago), or 7.5% and 32.5% (as now), or if they increase further.

Or have we misunderstood your point?

Comment

Originally posted by Maslins View Post
      I agree with the tail end of your comment, but I don't agree with your earlier one (that divi taxes make it irrelevant).

Doesn't matter whether dividend allowance goes down and/or tax rates go up. As long as marginal rates of tax increase as income increases, there's going to be incentive to transfer income from higher earning individuals to lower ones. This applies whether the low rates are 0% and high rates 25% (as a couple of years ago), or 7.5% and 32.5% (as now), or if they increase further.

Or have we misunderstood your point?
      Perhaps I'm not so eloquent. My point really is that direction of travel is clear, the tax incentive of pretending you are a business by incorporation and then sitting next to the guy doing the same thing as an employee is coming to an end. Fact. Whether by dividend taxation or other means, the situation is changing, fast.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        My point really is that direction of travel is clear, the tax incentive of pretending you are a business by incorporation and then sitting next to the guy doing the same thing as an employee is coming to an end.
        You might be right about that, fortunately we aren't all bums on seats...

Comment

Working...
        X