• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mobile - Personal or Business

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I claim my cost of monthly sim only "personal" contract as a business expense?

I am on standard VAT, so if I pay say £20pm incl VAT on a personal plan, can I also reclaim VAT?

Comment

Originally posted by konsultant View Post
      Can I claim my cost of monthly sim only "personal" contract as a business expense?

I am on standard VAT, so if I pay say £20pm incl VAT on a personal plan, can I also reclaim VAT?
      No and no.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Doesn't post 3 cover this? You have an accountant right?
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

The contract needs to be in your companies name to be able to claim. I've never done it as whenever I look at the price of business contracts they always work out as significantly more than a personal contract....
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
            No and no.

Thanks, let me rephrase -

Can I claim my cost of monthly sim only "personal" contract as a business expense where it is used for both personal and business calls

Comment

Can I claim my cost of monthly sim only "personal" contract as a business expense where it is used for both personal and business calls
              Let me rephrase - no.
              Best Forum Advisor 2014
              Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
              Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

No and No. Contract needs to be in company name to avoid BIK and you also need a valid VAT invoice in the company name to reclaim the VAT. If you're on a personal plan in your name, you can only claim business call charges (if there are any).

If you can get a business plan that works out cheaper after reclaiming VAT and accounting for personal tax savings, then switch. There's no BIK for non business use on a single phone.

Personally, for my low usage, a personal SIM works out cheapest for me. I just put the handset through the business.

I feel like this point has been raised a million times on here.

Comment

Could you rephrase it again so we can give you a clearer answer?
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Just keep going until the answer becomes 'Yes'.

We're all ears!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                      The answer is

No

Nope

Non

Nein

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X