• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best salary for 2017/18

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best salary for 2017/18

Last year I paid myself 11k salary and NI was about £31 a month.

Accountant is telling me this year the same salary will be about £62 a month due to a change in NI rules.

I found an article here that says a lower salary means no NI at all.

Optimum Directors Salary and Dividends 2017/18 - JF Financial : Online Accountants

Advice please?

And northernlad, don't post in this thread unless you have something helpful to say, cheers.

If you are the sole employee through your company, I'd recommend £8,164 per annum, then dividends thereafter.

If there are two employees through your company, I'd recommend one on a salary of £11,500 and the other on £8,170 per annum. As this way, you can take advantage of the Employment Allowance. Then take dividends thereafter.

However it does depend on your personal circumstances; future plans, any other personal income, etc.

The above is just general guidance.
    Last edited by Louisa@AardvarkAccounting; 12 May 2017, 10:55.
    We're all ears!

Comment

What?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

It's up to you what you take in salary.

However some accountants have an idea that if you take below the minimum tax allowance or the minimum wage you are more likely to be investigated.

In regards to the increased NI it's due to the employers NI allowance not being allowed for one director/employee limited companies.

Finally banning NLUK was silly as he would have found you links to answer all your queries. And yes get a new accountant who know what they are doing.
        Last edited by SueEllen; 12 May 2017, 11:01.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          What?
          It's cos you would say "Ask your accountant."
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Ok so I will do 8164 and this means pay zero national insurance every month? Will tell my accountant. I already paid one month at 11k rate for April so I guess I have to adjust the remaining 11 payments

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Which would be valid as his accountant told him something and he didn't question it

Accountant is telling me this year the same salary will be about £62 a month due to a change in NI rules.
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by genius View Post
                Ok so I will do 8164 and this means pay zero national insurance every month? Will tell my accountant. I already paid one month at 11k rate for April so I guess I have to adjust the remaining 11 payments
                That isn't the optimal salary.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
                  That isn't the optimal salary.
                  It is according to the link I posted

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Nah. He's already spoken to his accountant. That would be silly.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X