• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing a holiday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Expensing a holiday

In addition to being a contractor, i am also a freelance writer - short fiction, and the kind- all under the same Ltd company.

i was wondering if i can expense a holiday - undertaken for research.

Nope - duality of purpose
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

You can certainly expense it. If your accountant allows it(unlikely), then HMRC will conduct a full company internal cavity search. Without lube. It will end very badly. Don't do it.

Comment

You can expense a research trip. You can't expense a holiday taken to do research. If HMRC think your research trip was actually a holiday, then they will disallow your expense.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The fact you refer to it as a holiday means even if there is some other legit business purpose, there is clear duality of purpose.

Comment

I have expensed flights to places I had interviews or where arranged business meetings where I wanted to explore possible contract opportunities, however I also stayed at that country for a few more days exploring ... so arrange for a few interviews or business meeting where you are going??

I have a friend in Norway (I know different laws) but also does the same, arranges some business meetings, or conferences, then spends a few more days with me and we both do some trips in the UK.

Comment

Originally posted by coolpixel View Post
              In addition to being a contractor, i am also a freelance writer - short fiction, and the kind- all under the same Ltd company.

i was wondering if i can expense a holiday - undertaken for research.
              100% you can.

Just make sure you work out the BIK.

Comment

You can understand why he didn't ask his accountant that one.
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
                  I have expensed flights to places I had interviews or where arranged business meetings where I wanted to explore possible contract opportunities, however I also stayed at that country for a few more days exploring ... so arrange for a few interviews or business meeting where you are going??

I have a friend in Norway (I know different laws) but also does the same, arranges some business meetings, or conferences, then spends a few more days with me and we both do some trips in the UK.
                  This sounds like a friend of mine that expensed a sofa on the basis she sat on it sometimes when working from home.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post

Duality then? You think HMRC are not going to see through that and question it?
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X