• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Expensing a holiday

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Duality then? You think HMRC are not going to see through that and question it?
    Well if I had a business meeting / interview and the only flight at a reasonable costs were at specific dates, what am I supposed to do?? Stay in the hotel stuck until my day of leaving??
    Even when business men go on conference or training they usually have specific days for entertainment, and getting to know the place...
    In any case I did ask my accountant and he didn't see any issue with it... btw I only expensed the flight, nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by SandyD View Post
      In any case I did ask my accountant and he didn't see any issue with it... btw I only expensed the flight, nothing else.
      Which is completely different from going on holiday, putting it on expenses and claiming the whole thing.

You claimed travel to and from a business meeting, and nothing else. If you had claimed the hotel when you weren't there for a meeting then that would have been very different.
      Best Forum Advisor 2014
      Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
      Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by radish2008 View Post
        This sounds like a friend of mine that expensed a sofa on the basis she sat on it sometimes when working from home.
        I expensed the old man's face on the same basis.
        Last edited by northernladyuk; 10 May 2017, 15:28.

Comment

Originally posted by coolpixel View Post
          In addition to being a contractor, i am also a freelance writer - short fiction
          You certainly are.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
            I expensed the old man's face on the same basis.

Comment

I can understand the duality element, however, the facts of the case need to be fully examined i.e. what research was undertaken and was the holiday incidental to the research being undertaken i.e. if you were on the poolside thinking about the novel then that would constitute a holiday whereas if you attended a Expo then maybe a proportion of the costs could be considered as allowable

Comment

Originally posted by dotcom12 View Post
                I can understand the duality element, however, the facts of the case need to be fully examined i.e. what research was undertaken and was the holiday incidental to the research being undertaken i.e. if you were on the poolside thinking about the novel then that would constitute a holiday whereas if you attended a Expo then maybe a proportion of the costs could be considered as allowable
                I'm sure that's exactly what HMRC will say.

To save a few K, I do not think it would be worth it.
                Especially if HMRC use this as an excuse to carry out other investigations.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  I'm sure that's exactly what HMRC will say.

To save a few K, I do not think it would be worth it.
                  Especially if HMRC use this as an excuse to carry out other investigations.
                  I'm in the wrong job, does anyone know whether HMRC are looking for contractors

Comment

Originally posted by dotcom12 View Post
                    I'm in the wrong job, does anyone know whether HMRC are looking for contractors
                    They are but you will be inside IR35
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                      They are but you will be inside IR35
                      Yeh, should be plenty of roles there now
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X