• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

flat rate vat scheme question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

flat rate vat scheme question

Hi guys,

I was reading a few threads about VAT, but they didn't really answer my question so I'm creating a few thread! Hope the forum police don't mind!

I was speaking to some colleagues, and they told me it's not registering the company for VAT since the new rules came into effect. Is there any merit to this argument? I spoke to the accountant and he estimated I'd be better off by roughly £200 in 3 months, compared to not being on the scheme. I've asked him for the calculations so I can see where the savings are. In addition to this registering for VAT would cost an additional £100 + VAT accountancy fees, so wiping out half the gain in the first 3 months.

Quick question on the calcuation front. If the Flat rate vat is 14.5% for IT consultancy, does the 1% bonus bring this to 13.5% and the difference between 20% and 13.5% is what the company would be allowed to keep? Is that the general jist of it?

Thanks again for your help guys!

Are you talking about registering for VAT or for the FRS scheme?

What would cost 100 in fees? To register for VAT or to get an accountant.

Not the clearest post in a while I'm afraid.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kristen330 View Post
      Hi guys,

I was reading a few threads about VAT, but they didn't really answer my question so I'm creating a few thread! Hope the forum police don't mind!

I was speaking to some colleagues, and they told me it's not registering the company for VAT since the new rules came into effect. Is there any merit to this argument? I spoke to the accountant and he estimated I'd be better off by roughly £200 in 3 months, compared to not being on the scheme. I've asked him for the calculations so I can see where the savings are. In addition to this registering for VAT would cost an additional £100 + VAT accountancy fees, so wiping out half the gain in the first 3 months.
      To not bother registering for VAT your business must not earn over £80,000 and not have any significant expenses that are VATable e.g. hotel costs.

How much you spend on your accountant is up to you and what they do for you as not all accountants cost £100 ex VAT per month. Accountants don't do your book keeping they are there for you to ask questions like this, good for providing contract references and help with mortgage applications.

Quick question on the calcuation front. If the Flat rate vat is 14.5% for IT consultancy, does the 1% bonus bring this to 13.5% and the difference between 20% and 13.5% is what the company would be allowed to keep? Is that the general jist of it?
      If the normal rate is 13.5% then the first year bonus brings it to 14.5% unless you are a limited cost trader.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

So I take it you didn't got with your dad's accountant then? Or any accountant?

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          If the normal rate is 13.5% then the first year bonus brings it to 14.5% unless you are a limited cost trader.
          other way round...

Comment

Quick question on the calcuation front. If the Flat rate vat is 14.5% for IT consultancy, does the 1% bonus bring this to 13.5%
            Yes

and the difference between 20% and 13.5% is what the company would be allowed to keep? Is that the general jist of it?
            No.

You collect 20% and then pay 13.5% on the total, so if you bill for £100+VAT you collect £120, you then pass 13.5% of the £120 to HMRC, which is £16.70. After the first year you are on 14.5% so you would be passing on £17.40. If you are classed as a limited cost trader, which you probably are as an IT Consultant, the rate is 16.5% and you would be passing on £18.60 in the first year and £19.80 for subsequent years.

You also can't claim any VAT back if you are on the FRS unless you spend more than £2,000 in a single transaction.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              So I take it you didn't got with your dad's accountant then? Or any accountant?
              Some people think accountants are too expensive that is until they get in a mess....
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
                Yes

No.

You collect 20% and then pay 13.5% on the total, so if you bill for £100+VAT you collect £120, you then pass 13.5% of the £120 to HMRC, which is £16.70. After the first year you are on 14.5% so you would be passing on £17.40. If you are classed as a limited cost trader, which you probably are as an IT Consultant, the rate is 16.5% and you would be passing on £18.60 in the first year and £19.80 for subsequent years.

You also can't claim any VAT back if you are on the FRS unless you spend more than £2,000 in a single transaction.
                Very helpful post. Thanks for the example! Strange that the 13.5% is of the full amount rather than 13.5/20 if you see what I mean. It somewhat narrows down the relative percentage down a bit more than the actual difference. I think you're right about it being 16.5% for me (this is what my accountant said I'd be on - 15.5% with the first year discount).

The net benefit would be £50/month roughly of being on the FRS, and to register for vat and do the associated paperwork the accountant has said it would cost an additional £100+vat for the year. i.e. 750+vat as oposed to 650+vat if he didn't register me for vat.

For the 3 month contract, after fees, I would only be better off by £50. Better than nothing, but if I don't continue with the job after 3 months, the question is, is it worth going through the hassle of registering for vat for the sake of £50? I won't be doing the paperwork myself, but it seems a bit pointless! On the other hand, if I were to get extended beyond 3 months, then it would be worth it in the long run.

I think I'm not going to bother registering for VAT just yet, but may do so at a later stage if they extend my contract. Just don't see the point of the faff for the sake of £50. :/
                Last edited by kristen330; 9 May 2017, 14:42.

Comment

The net benefit would be £50/month roughly of being on the FRS, and to register for vat and do the associated paperwork the accountant has said it would cost an additional £100+vat for the year. i.e. 750+vat as oposed to 650+vat if he didn't register me for vat.
                  Form VAT1 to register for VAT is only 4 pages long (paper version - download here) so it's not that much faff to complete. You can also do it online.

I wouldn't pay £100 (plus VAT) for someone else to do that, particularly since you know the answers to the questions anyway.
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

What else is he going to charge you for above and beyond the basic fee?

Comment

Working...
                    X