• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How to normal accountants process expenses?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to normal accountants process expenses?

Hi guys!

In the age of cloud services, I was just wondering, how do the old school boys without fancy FA/cloud services process expenses?

I'm thinking of going with my dad's accountant of 20 years and they are so old school they don't have any fancy cloud systems. In my old job I used to upload receipts and expenses to the online portal. What would I do if such a facility doesn't exist? Would I need to scan and e-mail the accountant all the receipts and a filled out spreadsheet, or would a spreadsheet suffice?

Originally posted by kristen330 View Post
    Hi guys!

In the age of cloud services, I was just wondering, how do the old school boys without fancy FA/cloud services process expenses?

I'm thinking of going with my dad's accountant of 20 years and they are so old school they don't have any fancy cloud systems. In my old job I used to upload receipts and expenses to the online portal. What would I do if such a facility doesn't exist? Would I need to scan and e-mail the accountant all the receipts and a filled out spreadsheet, or would a spreadsheet suffice?
    it's up to you. It's your company, you set the policy.
    Before I moved to Freegagent I just totted up the weekly spend, shoved the receipts into an envelope and put them in a drawer. An accountant has no need to see the receipts unless they think you're screwing the system.
    You only keep the receipts as your evidence in case you get invetsigated. There's no legal requirement to have them at all, let alone keep them. Best of luck fighting in court over expenses fraud if you don't have them though.
    See You Next Tuesday

Comment

I can't believe you are still in this lol.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kristen330 View Post
        Why don't you ask your (prospective) accountant?

My old accountant used to get the receipts in a box at the end of the year and tally them against records I'd made in a spreadsheet. My current accountant doesn't always see the receipts but will ask for a few at year end and I send them a scan of the receipt by email.

Discuss with various accountants about how they work and choose one that you are comfortable with.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Working...
        X