• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Generating an invoice/using Comensura

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Generating an invoice/using Comensura

Hi everyone,

I was womdering if someone could help clarify how invoicing works when contracting? I will be working through a recruitment agency for a council. It will be outside IR35. All I know is that I will log my hours in Comensura, and the contact at the council will sign it off. What I don't really understand is how will I generate or get an invoice from this? Will Commensura automatically create an invoive for me which I cna send the accountant, will the agency do this, or will I need to hash something up on Excel and send this to the accountant?

Originally posted by kristen330 View Post
    Hi everyone,

I was womdering if someone could help clarify how invoicing works when contracting? I will be working through a recruitment agency for a council. It will be outside IR35. All I know is that I will log my hours in Comensura, and the contact at the council will sign it off. What I don't really understand is how will I generate or get an invoice from this? Will Commensura automatically create an invoive for me which I cna send the accountant, will the agency do this, or will I need to hash something up on Excel and send this to the accountant?
    Best ask your new accountant, presumably Comensura is a self billing system which generates invoices - your accountant will advise how to balance this up on whatever book keeping system they are using. Outside IR35 - really, are you sure?
    "why ride a vespa when you can push a lambretta?"

As I look ahead, I am filled with foreboding; like the Roman, I seem to see "the River Tiber foaming with much blood."

Comment

Hi everyone,

Do you have a limited company set up? If you are working in your own capacity through a company, it is your responsibility to issue an invoice for the service provided. Though, it is possible that the client generates an invoice from the timesheet system and this is referred to as "self-billing" but you will still be responsible to ensure the correct VAT is charged if you will be VAT registered. Has the client or the recruitment agency confirmed that you will be outside the IR35?

Comment

Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
        Best ask your new accountant, presumably Comensura is a self billing system which generates invoices - your accountant will advise how to balance this up on whatever book keeping system they are using. Outside IR35 - really, are you sure?
        They confirmed 3 times it is outside IR35. I'm hoping they know what the hell they are doing lol! Agency and the prospective employer themselves both told me it was outside it.

I used to work through Comensura before and there is an invoice number on it if I remember correctly. I just need to figure out how to get this into a pdf format or whatever to e-mail to the accountant.
        Last edited by kristen330; 22 April 2017, 19:17.

Comment

Prospective what?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chart Accountancy View Post
            Do you have a limited company set up? If you are working in your own capacity through a company, it is your responsibility to issue an invoice for the service provided. Though, it is possible that the client generates an invoice from the timesheet system and this is referred to as "self-billing" but you will still be responsible to ensure the correct VAT is charged if you will be VAT registered. Has the client or the recruitment agency confirmed that you will be outside the IR35?
            It will definitely be outside IR35, so i've been assured 3 times. Can I use the same invoice number as on the sell-billing invoice, or do I need to make up my own invoice and give it a new invoice number? Not quite sure what happens because of the intermediary (agency involvement)

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              Prospective what?

Comment

You said you were outside IR35 and then refer to your prospective employer...

If you are on a self billing agreement, then the agency system will send you an invoice. Just pass that on to your accountant

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  You said you were outside IR35 and then refer to your prospective employer...

If you are on a self billing agreement, then the agency system will send you an invoice. Just pass that on to your accountant
                  Ah I'm with you guys now! You guys are on the ball!

Comment

Working...
                  X