• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury service while benched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fidot View Post
    Makes IPSE plus look a bargain doesn't it?
    Doesn't it make IPSE plus look like a waste of money?

The Jury Service Allowance will be limited to a maximum of 10 days at £500 per day less a deduction of any amount recovered from the relevant court.

In order to arrive at the daily amount payable, the Member will provide details of the length and value of the current engagement from which it will be possible to calculate a daily rate.

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
      You should be able to volunteer to go on the list for this, for certain dates. You could tie in with a bit of benchtime, keep busy and make sure you don't get a shout during a contract.
      They get a ready supply without people deferring constantly - win win ?
      Nope.

Cos then they would get loads of "professional" people at certain times of the year and barristers would know to get cases deferred to avoid it.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by lukemg View Post
        You should be able to volunteer to go on the list for this, for certain dates. You could tie in with a bit of benchtime, keep busy and make sure you don't get a shout during a contract.
        They get a ready supply without people deferring constantly - win win ?
        if that was the case it would no longer be a random sample of people

Comment

It isn't now, it's people who can't get out of it... Easy enough to salt in someone on the available list for a 'worker' who defers.

Comment

Just opened a letter this morning and its jury service. Though I have IPSE+, I am hoping to be able to get out of it.

Comment

Just opened a letter this morning and its jury service. Though I have IPSE+, I am hoping to be able to get out of it.
              Stop being a freeloader on society and do your bit.

Comment

Originally posted by css_jay99 View Post
                When you're in court accused of something you didn't do, do you really want your fate to rest with a jury that are only there because they were too stupid to get themselves out of it?

Comment

Lots of people only end up doing a couple of days as they spend lots of time waiting around.

And you can refuse to do a longer trial of more than 2 weeks.

Comment

doing it now in not an option because the Mrs is due a week before the date

Comment

doing it now in not an option because the Mrs is due a week before the date
                      So you will be on paternity leave.

Comment

Working...
                      X