• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Jury service while benched

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Do you want me to sub you some work for the duration of the trial?
    It might be an issue as the judge is one of your clients.

Comment

Originally posted by pr1 View Post
      don't get your hopes up, it's capped at about £70/day

edit: £64.95 https://www.gov.uk/jury-service/what-you-can-claim
      Still better than £0 p.d. when benched

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
        Still better than £0 p.d. when benched
        Agreed but I think s/he was getting a bit carried away with what s/he might get

"My accountant averaged my daily income (gross inc VAT) over last year's accounts and produced a day rate from that."

Once the number gets above £65 it's irrelevant

Comment

Makes IPSE plus look a bargain doesn't it?

Comment

Agreed but I think s/he was getting a bit carried away with what s/he might get

"My accountant averaged my daily income (gross inc VAT) over last year's accounts and produced a day rate from that."

Once the number gets above £65 it's irrelevant
            No I was fully aware of the rates (based on > or < 4h days). The issue was whether I was entitled to anything at all based on the fact that I can still pay myself salary and divis while benched.
            "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Why don't you request an exemption from jury service ? Problem solved then.

Comment

Originally posted by kaiser78 View Post
                Why don't you request an exemption from jury service ? Problem solved then.
                If I get called again I will if it's after 2 years
                "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Originally posted by Jog On View Post
                  No I was fully aware of the rates (based on > or < 4h days). The issue was whether I was entitled to anything at all based on the fact that I can still pay myself salary and divis while benched.
                  fair enough - the fact you bothered to add the "(gross inc VAT)" made it sound like you were trying to make the day rate look as big as possible

Comment

fair enough - the fact you bothered to add the "(gross inc VAT)" made it sound like you were trying to make the day rate look as big as possible
                    No it was a specific detail my accountant asked for that I had to ask the court to confirm. I don't think anyone can can claim any specific amount or any more than what the court pays per day - regardless of their earnings. You could be a hedge fund manager on millions a year and still be entitled to the going day rate they pay. Either way - whatever your situation you need to provide accurate evidence of your earnings, be that an employer's form, an accountant letter or something from the benefits office.

My concerns were:

1. Am I entitled being on the bench?
                    2. What kind of evidence do I provide and is it as accurate and factual as it can be given my situation?
                    Last edited by Jog On; 27 April 2017, 09:58.

Comment

You should be able to volunteer to go on the list for this, for certain dates. You could tie in with a bit of benchtime, keep busy and make sure you don't get a shout during a contract.
                      They get a ready supply without people deferring constantly - win win ?

Comment

Working...
                      X