• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Card Payments for LTD Co.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Card Payments for LTD Co.

I'm negotiating directly with a client who has a history of late paying suppliers so to mitigate this I am looking to get setup as a card merchant to accept card payments for my LTD Co.'s services to improve cashflow and not having to chase for payment for weeks or months. Has anyone else has this setup for their LTD Co.? Aside from the merchant fee that I will pass on in the daily rate are there any other pitfalls to having this?

Pitfalls, I think, are other than costs, the risk of chargeback if there is a dispute.

In terms if setting up to receive cards, I'm blown away by Stripe. Inexpensive and efficient, it's a good business disruptor for the banks and PayPal.

Comment

Why would the client agree to pay by card instead of a transfer?

I don't see how it would help mitigate the risk of late/non payment. If they don't have the funds when they need to pay you, the payment method doesn't matter.

Comment

Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
        Why would the client agree to pay by card instead of a transfer?
        Because they don't have the cash but do have a credit card.

Does sound decidedly fishy though.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Very fishy.
          And a credit card has the extra dimension that you have another contract with the credit companies so every payment has 3 contractual ties. If it goes wrong it'll get really messy.
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post

Even the largest of clients have issues paying their bills even if they did have the cash. A large UK supermarket I did consultancy work for several years ago had major delays paying their suppliers (>180 days) that was in breach of contract. They got away with it as they were one of the big four and could bully suppliers which sometimes resulted in walkouts, delayed shipments to stores etc. Luckily I was going through a middleman (consultancy firm) so it was their problem to chase payment instead but it did and probably still does cause suppliers to suffer cashflow issues and even go under.

This potential client isn't the same size but still a large business which has seasonal increases in cashflow so they use credit cards to have unsecured debt (along with bank loans etc.) to ensure they can keep trading throughout the year ... it's not fishy and usual business practice. Aside from the unsecured debt there is another benefit for the client as well as they get benefits from increased card spend. They also currently pay other suppliers through their corporate purchasing card too including those that provide consultancy services so it's familiar and convenient to them to pay for services in this way.

As for the card merchant provider it's a month to month contract with no exit fees (similar to Stripe's model it seems but directly with a credit card company that I have contacts in) but I am checking with them the dispute process if I have an approved signed timesheet from the client. I've never had a dispute with a client on my services ... but there is always a possibility!

Comment

IF you decide to use merchant processing services, and that's a big IF, because in your case it does not seem to make sense, then I'd recommend Barclays, don't use Lloyds Cardnet.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                IF you decide to use merchant processing services, and that's a big IF, because in your case it does not seem to make sense, then I'd recommend Barclays, don't use Lloyds Cardnet.
                Thanks.

I know some here are skeptical as they may not have been paid this way before and directly from a client but it does seem to be a win/win in this scenario if the dispute process is acceptable. I'll post up what I have decided later next week.

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
                  I'm negotiating directly with a client who has a history of late paying suppliers so to mitigate this I am looking to get setup as a card merchant to accept card payments for my LTD Co.'s services to improve cashflow and not having to chase for payment for weeks or months. Has anyone else has this setup for their LTD Co.? Aside from the merchant fee that I will pass on in the daily rate are there any other pitfalls to having this?
                  I would not touch him he has history.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark2009 View Post
                    I would not touch him he has history.
                    With English like that you look like a spammer
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X